From: Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Environment Whitelisting
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:08:31
1 Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > On Monday 22 August 2005 12:52, Drake Wyrm wrote:
3 >
4 >>Alec Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>Was talking with Brian about the build environment and how settings
7 >>>were to be passed into the build environment.
8 >>>
9 >>>Essentially three scenarios were presented.
10 >>
11 >>Snip and summary:
12 >>
13 >>1) Pass everything
14 >>
15 >>2) Blacklist and strip bad stuff
16 >>
17 >>3) Whitelist good stuff; strip everything else
20 >>>To me 1) is unacceptable and 3) is the best option. Feel free to
21 >>>shoot these down as you see fit ;)
22 >>
23 >>Option 4: Strip everything.
24 >>
25 >>Nothing is passed from the original environment; everything passed in the
26 >>environment is considered to be a "portage variable". This, I suppose,
27 >>is an extreme case of the whitelist.
30 > Well, I'll go against the flow. ;)
31 >
32 > My preference would go 4, 3, 2 then 1. While Makefiles and configure scripts
33 > may be "broken" upstream, how long is it before the breakage goes
34 > unnoticed? More importantly, what's the chances of a dev finding the
35 > breakage before users? Cleansing the environment to me is akin to using
36 > sandbox. It offers protection against misbehaving packages...
39 Good point. How about if we add environment sandboxing support (in addition to filesystem sandboxing) to sandbox. With an environment sandbox, we could detect specifically which variables a build is fragile with regard to. The sandbox would have both filesystem access and environment access violation summaries.
40
41 Zac
42 --
43 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list