From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] [RFC] Depending on "active" version
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 15:56:36
1 Sometimes a package has to depend on a specific version of a slotted package being the "active" one to build correctly, like in the current "tr1" discussion on -dev [1] or with packages that depend on the running kernel.
2
3 Currently this isn't really possible, however I while ago I got an idea how to solve this. Keep in mind this is just a rough idea and I'm pretty sure some people can/will point out why it is a stupid idea, but anyway:
4
5 The idea is to add a special category (let's call it "active" for now) that has the following properties:
6 - this category doesn't exist in portdir or vdb (= no ebuilds)
7 - when portage ($pkgmanager) encounters a "active/foo" atom in a dependency string it executes some special code (e.g. "$PORTDIR/scripts/active-check/foo =active/foo-1") to determine if that atom is satisfied
8
9 (and yes, this kinda goes with multi-repo/multi-format support)
10
11 Marius
12 --
13 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list