From: Richo Healey <richo@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-powerpc <gentoo-powerpc@l.g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-powerpc] PowerPC meeting minutes - 05/15/15
Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 19:42:21
1 On 17/05/15 07:14 -0700, Jack Morgan wrote:
2 >Team,
3 >
4 >The PowerPC developer team had a meeting this week. Here are the
5 >meeting minutes from our meeting on 05/15/15. Also sending this out to
6 >gentoo-dev list to get feedback from a wide audience.
9 >0) roll call
10 >jmorgan, blueness, JoseJX were present. rej and lu_zero responded
11 >after reading backlog.
14 >1) Developer status
15 >
16 >For those who didn't make the meeting, please check the list of
17 >developers in the wiki[1]. If you are no longer active on powerpc or
18 >taking a break, please let us know. If you would like to help out
19 >either by becoming an Arch Testor (AT) or are a developer who has some
20 >cycles/hardware to spare, we would appreciate the assistance.
23 >2) Status of timberdoodle[2]
24 >
25 >Who is "managing" this system?
26 >--We discovered that several developers have sudo access, blueness
27 >volunteered to be the point of contact for this resource. He will work
28 >with infra to update the contact person details in the wiki[2]. If you
29 >would like a shell account to do keyword testing, let him know.
32 >3) keywordreq/stablereq
33 >
34 >(a) systemd support
35 >--No one mentioned they have tested systemd on a live system. Though
36 >this feature has been keyworded, it is not known if it works of not on
37 >a live system. I said I would try in a week or so. If you are running
38 >ppc/ppc64 on systemd, it would be good to know that. I had trouble
39 >getting it working on sparc for example. I'm told there might not be a
40 >lot of support for non-Intel based hardware.
41
42 Lurking in, and without being able to speak for gentoo specifically, I'm
43 running systemd on a powermac 11,2 (ppc64 kernel, 32 bit userland) under
44 Debian sid, and it more or less works, save for some (annoying, but not
45 unworkable) quirks.
46 >
47 >(b) gnome/kde desktop support
48 >--Based on whether systemd works or not, we will evaluate continuing
49 >supporting these desktops. I believe systemd is required for gnome for
50 >example. I'm not sure of the state of kde, need to test it. For now,
51 >we consider these desktops stable on powerpc and will reevaluate this
52 >at a future date.
53 >
54 >(c) java support
55 >--The java team is working on getting java stable on both ppc/ppc64.
56 >Thanks for their effort. We need to be testing, keywording and closing
57 >any open bugzilla on java to assist in this effort. Please take a look
58 >at those bugs in bugzilla.
59 >
60 >(d) broken install due to yaboot/sys-fs/e2fsprogs bug (527974)
61 >--A user reported on IRC that they were not able to complete an
62 >install due to this bug. After some discussion, JoseJX said he would
63 >look into it. He was able to attach a patch and Spanky (vapier) was
64 >able to make some adjustments. This patch seems to have fixed the
65 >problem. JoseJX will continue to work this bug. Once that is done, we
66 >now need to build new stage3 and possibly an installcd.
67 >
68 >(e) overall bugzilla status:
69 >ppc: total bugs (114), keywordreq (62), stablereq (11)
70 >ppc64: total bugs (104), keywordreq (22), stablereq (51)
71 >
72 >Here are our bug count in bugzilla at the time of writing. Thanks to
73 >everyone who is helping keep our bug count low.
76 >4) opens
77 >--Just a reminder that we have consolidated our mailing lists to a
78 >single gentoo-powerpc@l.g.o list now. Please join the list
79 >if you are interested in this arch.
80 >--We will have a team meeting every few months (once a quarter) to
81 >sync up on powerpc development work.
84 >[1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:PowerPC
85 >[2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Infrastructure/Developer_Machines
86 >
87 >thanks,