From: Leno Hou <lenohou@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-powerpc@l.g.o, "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-powerpc] Re: [gentoo-dev] Introduce ppc64le architecture into gentoo ! please share your comments
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 12:01:18
1 On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 4:30 PM, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o>
2 wrote:
3
4 > On 8/12/15 3:47 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
7 >> 4. I would like become a developer of porting gentoo on ppc64le. Anyone
8 >>> could help/mentor me to join this project ?
9 >>>
10 >> ideally someone on the ppc side would pick you up, but i think they've
11 >> been
12 >> a bit of a skeleton team of late. so if need be, i can help you here.
15 > I can help out here.
16
17 See in my mail
21 > **Most importantly, Any Ideas/steps of how to porting gentoo on ppc64le
22 >>> architecture?**
23 >>>
24 >> do you have hardware ? then it's simply a matter of booting Gentoo in it
25 >> and
26 >> filing/fixing bugs :).
27 >> -mike
28 >>
29 > We should also start building stage3s.
32 > --
33 > Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
34 > Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
35 > E-Mail : blueness@g.o
36 > GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
37 > GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA
41 Appreciated your efforts and comments.
42
43 1. We've successfully compiled stage 3 for ppc64le. The stage 3 covers
44 most useful functionalities:
45
46 - GNU tool chains. e.g. automake, autoconf, gcc & glibc.
47 - Normally use Portage, e.g. emerge, ebuild & python
48 - Normally chroot in this stage 3.
49 - Not included linux kernel & bootloader yet.
50
51 2. We believe to make Gentoo support ppc64le, we still need to compile
52 kernel and bootloader
53
54 - Which version of kernel provided by Gentoo would you suggest us to use?
55
56 As to Ubuntu, there will be many patches to make the kernel
57 workable, so how to patch
58 our Gentoo kernel to make it work for ppc64le?
59
60 - Which version of grub suitable for ppc64le ? Is there any patches to
61 ppc64le grub ?
62
63 3. When the gentoo we make out workable on ppc64le, we would like to know
64 the process of
65 making it officially supported by Gentoo community
66
67 - For each arch, do we have a subteam to verify the packages? If so, how
68 to reach these guys?
69 - For hardware environment, does anyone have Power8 systems ?
72 -Leno Hou