From: "Steven K. Sharp" <steven_k_sharp@×××.org>
To: gentooppc-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentooppc-dev] Re: gentooppc-dev digest, Vol 1 #2 - 3 msgs
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 22:29:45
You need to add yourself and whatever other users you want to have su
priviliges, to group wheel.  The permissions on Gentoo are very very
strict.  You can change them by editing the files in "/etc/pam.d" to fit
your needs.  Be very careful doing this because you can leave your system
in a wide open state if not careful.  Adding yourself to group "wheel" is
a much safer solution.

Another thing you have to do is make sure the user has a valid shell.
When I used "adduser" I neglected this and it logged me in using bash but
using anything else (ssh, etc.) would reject my log in.  After adding
"/bin/bash" everything worked as planned.