From: Dean Takemori <deant@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Kevyn Shortell <trance@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-dev] Re: gentoo-ppc-dev Digest 30 Dec 2003 08:03:51 -0000 Issue 99
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 00:04:45
1 > From: Kevyn Shortell <trance@g.o>
2 >
3 > On Sat, 2003-12-27 at 18:18, Dean Takemori wrote:
4 >> Hello,
5 >>
6 >> I would like to install Gentoo 1.4 onto an Old World machine (8600
7 >> w/G3
8 >> upgrade). The machine is fully functional (in both OS9 and Yellowdog
9 >> linux).
10 <bunchofstuffsnippedout>
11 > In the interim you can download the module you need from my webspace at
12 > htpp://dev.gentoo.org/~trance/oldworld/ you'll need to force load it
13 > due
14 > to kernel version mismatch, but it does indeed work.
15 <more snippage>
16
17 Hmmm ... I tried the kernel from your webpage, and it does indeed see
18 the
19 hard drive(and cddrive) on the SCSI bus according to the dmesg log, but
20 the live boot fails because the cloop driver has unresolved symbols
21 (kfree,
22 do_generic_file_read, highmem_start_page, blk_dev, blk_init_queue,
23 fsync_dev, kmap_high, printk, irq_stat, bksize_size,__cli plus others
24 that
25 scroll off screen)
26
27 Going with the default Gentoo-1.4 kernel (2.4.21-ppc-r2) and trying to
28 insmod
29 your mesh.o causes the system to lock up hard. Am I loading the wrong
30 module?
31 Wrong order?
32
33 Alternately, where are the cloop sources and where might I find a decent
34 howto for making .isos?
35
36 -dean takemori