From: Maik Schreiber <blizzy@g.o>
To: gentoo-announce@g.o
Subject: [gentooppc-dev] [gentoo-announce] Gentoo usage statistics
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 14:23:10
Fellow Gentoo users,

In an attempt to help Gentoo developers find out more about their user
base, I've set up a statistics web site at

Please note that we desperately need more volunteering machines
participating in this survey. Of course, participation is entirely
optional and free.

To participate, you need to install a little client software that
regularly transmits information about your machine to our servers.
Installing this client is really easy:

    emerge gentoo-stats

After installation, you will need to obtain a system ID for your machine.
To do so, simply run "gentoo-stats --new" (without quotes). As soon as
you've done with that, you should set up a cronjob that runs the client in
regular intervals. ("gentoo-stats --new" will print out information to
help you with that.)

As is described at, we really _do_ respect
your privacy. Any information that gets transmitted is totally anonymous
and cannot be backtracked to you.

Thanks for helping us making Gentoo better.

Maik Schreiber, Gentoo developer

gentoo-announce mailing list