From: Nelson Batalha <nelson_batalha@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-dev@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-ppc-dev] Playstation3 port status woes
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 13:57:24
1 > Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 14:05:11 +0100
2 > From: lu_zero@g.o
3 > To: gentoo-ppc-dev@l.g.o
4 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-dev] Playstation3 port status woes
5
6 > > If so, afaik the livecd and stage4 could be
7 > > released in the same file, since a livecd can be
8 > > only a stage4 with a specific boot config file if I recall.
9 > > A simple install procedure could be written so a user would
10 > > appropriately copy the cd contents to the disk.
11 >
12 > It does exist already...
15 I'm aware they exist already, what I'm saying is that to shorten developing time the next version could be all-in-one. If you preserve things like the portage database the next livecd could be the next stage4.
16
17 > > (I was actually writing a GTK gui that did just that along
18 > > with specific ps3 configurations).
19 >
20 > Check the graphical installer available in recent releases, I'm quite
21 > sure would be nice having a patch to support the ps3 target.
22
23 If you're talking about the GLI I personally didn't like it very much for this and the code was huge. Since the ps3 install from a stage4 is so simple I figured it would be easy to create and maintain a separate installer.
24
25 > > It's really annoying to compile everything from a stage3,
26 > > are you dropping stage4 support for it?
27 >
28 > I'd suggest to use a cross-distcc setup to speed things up...
29 >
30 > lu
31
32 For me yes, but cross-compiling isn't officially supported, so ruling out an official stage4 would leave a stage3 install with compiling everything on the ps3 the only supported way to do things. I was hoping this would be a first contact to linux to many users (since it's the only OS installable on the ps3), while I appreciate the gentoo handbook approach a lot, until crossdev is working better it's just too hard for them wouldn't you agree?
35 nelson
37 Obtenha 30 Emoticons grátis para o seu Windows Live Messenger
38 http://www.livemessenger-emoticons.com/funfamily/pt-pt/