From: Ron Day <ronmon@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-ppc-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-dev] openoffice-ximian-1.1.53 builds on ppc
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 16:08:57
Hi there,

Well, somebody had to try it. It took almost 14 hours to build on my G3
900 iBook w/ 384MB of RAM, but openoffice-ximian-1.1.53 built on the
first attempt and runs flawlessly. There's plenty more where this came
from, but possibly the most relevant info is:

USE="gnome -kde"
CFLAGS="-mcpu=750 -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing"

I have had problems with gcc-3.2 and glibc-2.3.2, and these later
versions seem to help with most builds. CFLAGS are intentionally
conservative and the last flag is per the 'ewarn' in the gcc ebuild for
this version.

Considering the enormity of this ebuild in regard to disk space and
processing time demands, it would be really nice to have an
openoffice-ximian-bin available for ppc like there is for x86. I'd be
open to trying a 'quickpkg' on mine if the gcc and glibc versions didn't
cause a problem for others. If and when I can figure out cross-compiling
on my dual Athlon desktop, I would be willing to experiment some more.