From: Kevyn Shortell <trance@g.o>
To: Dean Takemori <deant@×××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-ppc-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-dev] Re: gentoo-ppc-dev Digest 30 Dec 2003 08:03:51 -0000 Issue 99
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 08:30:15
1 On Sat, 2004-01-03 at 16:03, Dean Takemori wrote:
2 > From:Kevyn Shortell <trance@g.o>
3 >
4 > On Sat, 2003-12-27 at 18:18, Dean Takemori wrote:
5 > Hello,
6 >
7 > I would like to install Gentoo 1.4 onto an Old World
8 > machine (8600 w/G3
9 > upgrade). The machine is fully functional (in both
10 > OS9 and Yellowdog
11 > linux).
12 > <bunchofstuffsnippedout>
13 > In the interim you can download the module you need from
14 > mywebspace at
15 > htpp://dev.gentoo.org/~trance/oldworld/ you'll need to force
16 > load itdue
17 > to kernel version mismatch, but it does indeed work.
18 > <more snippage>
19 >
20 > Hmmm ... I tried the kernel from your webpage, and it does indeed
21 > seethe
22 > hard drive(and cddrive) on the SCSI bus according to the dmesg log,but
23 > the live boot fails because the cloop driver has unresolved
24 > symbols(kfree,
25 > do_generic_file_read, highmem_start_page, blk_dev, blk_init_queue,
26 > fsync_dev, kmap_high, printk, irq_stat, bksize_size,__cli plus
27 > othersthat
28 > scroll off screen)
29 >
30 > Going with the default Gentoo-1.4 kernel (2.4.21-ppc-r2) and trying
31 > toinsmod
32 > your mesh.o causes the system to lock up hard. Am I loading the
33 > wrongmodule?
34 > Wrong order?
35 >
36 > Alternately, where are the cloop sources and where might I find
37 > adecent
38 > howto for making .isos?
39 >
40 > -dean takemori
41
42 Sorry to hear it is not working for you, sadly I have no real other
43 ideas than that, as I don't have my 8500 working atm to test. The
44 sources for the cloop and other bits aren't really public yet, we're
45 still in the process of re-writing our build system, but if you stop on
46 the irc channel, and ask lu_zero or darkspecter either one of them could
47 build or point you to a new build version that what you've got.
48
49 Sadly our oldworld support is pretty bad atm, hoping to fix that in the
50 near future if we can get more people to help out testing oldworld
51 configs for us.
52
53 Kevyn
56 trance @ irc.freenode.net #gentoo-ppc
57 Kevyn Shortell <trance@g.o>
58 Gentoo PPC Operational Manager / PPC dev