From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-announce@g.o
Cc: number1@×××.org
Subject: [gentooppc-dev] [gentoo-announce] Announce: prerelease KDE ebuilds (3.1 alpha1)
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 13:57:08

Hello everyone,

This is about alpha-quality code and beta-quality ebuilds. If you want to stay
on the stable side of things, don't read this. All kde prereleases will
remain masked and the eclass changes etc. will not affect you. There won't be
gentoo-side support on the level of the stable ebuilds, either.

End disclaimer. Now: I've made ebuilds for kde 3.1 alpha1. More importantly,
these are the first kde ebuilds utside 3.0.x and as such put our "multi-kde"
setup to the test. Personally I like the new alpha a good deal.

Short summary:

To use: you _must_ remove the KDE3DIR and KDE3LIBSDIR settings from your
/etc/make.globals. They are deprecated and will not appear in future versions
of portage. If you don't, the new alpha will overwrite your current stable
3.0.2 and install into /usr/kde/3.

Remove the section in package.mask about kde-3.1_alpha1 and emerge kde. This
will install alpha1 into /usr/kde/3.1 and you can select the kde to log into
(3.0.x or 3.1.x) from kdm.

I would have done more, but ISP troubles prevent me from connecting to the
internet and finishing what I started. Once I'm up to speed once more I'll
maintain the kde cvs ebuilds again, and keep a status/info page on (I'll post a separate notice once it's up).

Please report any problems/ideas/patch suggestions to me at
danarmak@g.o and I'll reply as soon as I can.

This is the setup: kde 3.0.x installs into /usr/kde/3 (for backward
compatibility; it should have been /usr/kde/3.0). kde 3.1.x, including this
alpha, installs into /usr/kde/3.1. kde 3.2.x will install into /usr/kde/3.2,

3rd party kde apps always install into /usr/kde/3. However the kdelibs they
link against is the latest one found in the standard locations: the one in
/usr/kde/3.2; if it doesn't exist, the one in /usr/kde/3.1; if it doesn't
exist, the one in /usr/kde/3, etc.

You can modify these default settings by setting $KDE3DIR and/or $KDE3LIBSDIR
(in make.conf or in the environment). If KDE3DIR is defined, all and any kde3
apps (base and 3rd party) will install into it. If KDE3LIBSDIR is defined,
all kde3 apps (even ones from kde-base) will link against the kdelibs
installed there.

That way you can create a fully custom setup, with any amount of KDEs
installed side by side. Note: this doesn't mean you have to or even should
unless you have a really good reaason! The default settings should be quite
good enough for everyone.

Also note that since this masked and in active testing, everything may change
at any moment (I don't expect it to, but who knows). There are some known
issues, and others which are features not bugs. More details soon. Remember
this is as yet preliminary support :-)

- --
Dan Armak
Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)