From: Lars Weiler <pylon@g.o>
To: gentoo-ppc-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-dev] Test Xautoconfig
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 20:32:47
1 * Ben Waltmann <benwaltmann@×××.de> [04/10/09 08:43 +0200]:
2 > Why only us-keyboard? E.g. with the german keyboard layout
3 > I have that is almost unusable. A command line option would be
4 > nice, wouldn't it?
5
6 Yes, that would be nice. See this package as a first
7 approve in generating an X-config and get that thing
8 started. The features will be added later ;-)
9
10 > All the graphics related things work well (why is dri commented?),
11
12 There are still problems on several boards. And only fbdev
13 is used. Probably some tests could be added to distinguish
14 between Radeon and Rage or Nvidia cards. If that is
15 resolved, we could try to uncomment DRI.
16
17 > I have only some trouble with the keyboard settings.
18 > First, my "self made" AltGr-emulation and switching
19 > beetween the ttys did not work.
20 > I commented out the the "macintosh" option and that helped.
21 > For some special keys adding the line
22 > Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
23 > is also necessary.
24
25 Keyboards on Apples was always a pain. First question:
26 Which key would you use as the AltGr? I recommend The
27 Apple-Key, but some would like to use it as the Win-key for
28 opening the applications-roster (it's the same Keycode).
29 Writing Keymaps isn't that hard. Even xmodmap is an option
30 to involve. Probably I can find some time to write the
31 .xmodmaprc for German and a customized Dvorak layout, so
32 that they will be loaded with xmodmap. Or even better
33 complete layouts which we can send upstream so that they
34 become included in future X.org-releases.
35
36 But that work has to be done -- and it's also just a
37 feature.
38
39 Thanks to all who already tested the utility. It seems that
40 we can include it to the LiveDVD (if nobody will commit a
41 bug about it).
42
43 Regards, Lars