From: Lars Weiler <pylon@g.o>
To: gentoo-ppc-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-dev] Test Xautoconfig
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 20:32:47
* Ben Waltmann <benwaltmann@×××.de> [04/10/09 08:43 +0200]:
> Why only us-keyboard? E.g. with the german keyboard layout > I have that is almost unusable. A command line option would be > nice, wouldn't it?
Yes, that would be nice. See this package as a first approve in generating an X-config and get that thing started. The features will be added later ;-)
> All the graphics related things work well (why is dri commented?),
There are still problems on several boards. And only fbdev is used. Probably some tests could be added to distinguish between Radeon and Rage or Nvidia cards. If that is resolved, we could try to uncomment DRI.
> I have only some trouble with the keyboard settings. > First, my "self made" AltGr-emulation and switching > beetween the ttys did not work. > I commented out the the "macintosh" option and that helped. > For some special keys adding the line > Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys" > is also necessary.
Keyboards on Apples was always a pain. First question: Which key would you use as the AltGr? I recommend The Apple-Key, but some would like to use it as the Win-key for opening the applications-roster (it's the same Keycode). Writing Keymaps isn't that hard. Even xmodmap is an option to involve. Probably I can find some time to write the .xmodmaprc for German and a customized Dvorak layout, so that they will be loaded with xmodmap. Or even better complete layouts which we can send upstream so that they become included in future But that work has to be done -- and it's also just a feature. Thanks to all who already tested the utility. It seems that we can include it to the LiveDVD (if nobody will commit a bug about it). Regards, Lars