From: Stefan Bruda <bruda@×××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-ppc-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-dev] Native 64-bit on G5: A status report
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 15:30:12
1 Hi.
2
3 Turing (http://turing.ubishops.ca/) is a dual G5 (the 2GHz variety),
4 and it runs a 64-bit Gentoo installation (used to be Yellow Dog Linux,
5 really on-line in its Gentoo incarnation since yesterday). To be more
6 precise this is a development machine plus a HTTP/mail/IMAP server on
7 the side, and as far as I can tell everything in this respect runs
8 mostly smoothly (exceptions shall be summarized shortly).
9
10 What does not run (at all) is X, the server
11 (x11-base/xorg-x11-6.7.0-r1) segfaults upon loading the bitmap module
12 or something (I am not at the console right now so I cannot run it,
13 but in any case it dies very early in the startup process) so not even
14 Xeasyconf has any chance to complete whatsoever. This is by no means a
15 huge problem but I will eventually like to make use of the nice Apple
16 Studio display (and get rid of the second machine in my office which I
17 use as a remote GUI), so advice is appreciated.
18
19 In any case, here is a summary of the installation process. The
20 installed stuff (and all the dependencies) works as far as I can tell,
21 except as noted in the list below.
22
23 At this time my ACCEPT_KEYWORDS has the value "~ppc64 ppc" but I set
24 the variable individually for packages during the initial install to
25 see what is keyworded how. If no entry appears in the "additional
26 keywords" in the table below, it means that the respective package
27 (and its dependencies, except those installed before) are keyworded as
28 ~ppc64.
29
30 The uname/arch trick refers to the replacement of uname and arch by
31 the following, respectively:
32
33 /bin/uname $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 | sed -e s/ppc64/ppc/
34 /bin/arch $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 | sed -e s/ppc64/ppc/
35
36 In one instance, CHOST had to be changed as well. The formulation "USE
37 +=" stands for adding whatever follows to the USE flags.
38
39 Anyhow, FYI here is the table of what has been installed and
40 how. Advice on the enumerated problems is really appreciated,
41 expecially the problems with X and uname -a segfaulting.
42
43 --------------+----------+----------------------------------------------
44 emerged additional notes
45 keywords
46 --------------+----------+----------------------------------------------
47 sync
48 bootstrap-2.6 no NTPL, which posed problems afterwards
49 system problems with current coreutils,
50 '=coreutils-5.2.0-r2' works
51 except that uname -a segfaults
52 xorg-x11 builds fine but segfaults upon startup
53 apache
54 sendmail ppc
55 uw-imap ppc
56 kernel Character devices: rtc, agp miss headers
57 (2.6.7-rc0) Sound: Powermac devices choke
58 gentoolkit
59 vim Segfaults on exit
60 sysklogd
61 vixie-cron
62 pciutils
63 reiserfsprogs
64 zip ppc
65 cvs
66 qt
67 boost
68 ibm-jdk-bin ppc
69 tmpwatch ppc
70 logwatch ppc
71 root-tail ppc
72 openmotif ~ppc
73 lesstif ppc
74 xemacs ppc
75 pth ppc CHOST="powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu"
76 gnupg-1.9.8 ~x86 problems with official app-crypt/gnupg-1.2.4
77 gnupg-1.9.8 installs
78 BUT: patches for 1.2.4 also available (bug 54814)
79 mozilla patched (ebuild + source, bug 54843),
80 -O2 used, segfaults (epiphany however works);
81 -O1 produces ICE
82 epiphany ~ppc ppc chhokes
83 glut ppc uname/arch trick
84 gnome-cups-
85 manager ~ppc ppc chokes
86 gnome ppc graphviz (needed by doxygen) chokes
87 ==> USE += -doc
88 xmms ppc
89 xscreensaver ppc
90 lshw ppc
91 latex2html ppc
92 bind-tools uname/arch trick
93 gkrellm ppc
94 gkrellm-themes ~ppc
95 gkrellm-
96 trayicons ppc
97 gkrellmlaunch ppc
98 gkrellm-volume ppc
99 logrotate
100 curl
101 emerge mod_php ppc USE += "-truetype -fdftk"
102 with truetype required a lower, unbuildable freetype!!
103 procmail
104 spamassasin ppc
105 netkit-fingerd ppc
106 nmap ppc
107 ipx-utils x86
108 ncpfs *** ebuild fails, manual installation works OK!!
109 pine ppc
110 netkit-telnetd ppc
111 --------------+----------+----------------------------------------------
112
113 Let me know if this report is of some use in other places, and I will
114 submit it (I already submitted it to the fora).
115
116 Cheers,
117 Stefan
120 If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
121 it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.
122 --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
125 gentoo-ppc-dev@g.o mailing list