From: mguertin@×××××××××××××.com
To: gentooppc-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentooppc-dev] ARCH=ppc in unified portage and some downfalls
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 14:50:32
1 Hi Pieter
2
3 Well i can see your points on things, but here\'s where the single
4 biggest porblem lies. The x86 gentoo had no less than 22 updated ebuilds
5 comitted last week, of which only ONE was tested on ppc (Azarah is good
6 for that - he asked me to test it) becuase it containted some very long
7 awaited PPC fixes (was the scrollwheel fix for xfree). This also bring
8 to point the fact that this build _just_ made it live with some crucial
9 ppc fixes after weeks of waiting.
10
11 It is still my opinion that a unified tree is going to cause many many
12 many problems in the very near future (like with GCC 3.1). No offence
13 to the gentoo folk but there are truly some _bad_ x86 developers
14 comitting completely untested code and unmasking things that just
15 shouldn\'t be.
16
17 For example I did an updated qt-copy snapshot build last week w/ fixes
18 for both ppc and x86, and I put it up for testing (masked), the
19 maintainer unmasked it within one hour of when I committed it with no
20 testing and it broke things for some people because of this. It makes
21 us (me) look bad, it was a simple fix that and I got in it right away,
22 but you see where things are leading to here...
23
24 There are _very_ many things in the current portage which have a lot of
25 x86 specific stuff in them (i.e. tweaked config files, x86 only
26 patche,s, etc) and honestly i don\'t think that we can either rely onthe
27 x86 devs to test things against ppc, nor should they really have to in a
28 perfect world.
29
30 portage really really needs something better than if [ ${ARCH} = \"ppc\"
31 ] for the environment. As for the xforms fiasco i can fill you in in
32 private, but hold on to your shorts, its a _very_ nasty problem that is
33 not likely to get resolved in the near future.
34
35 My biggest concern is there will be much fighting between x86 peeps and
36 ppc peeps to make things happen, in the last few weeks since you
37 haven\'t been around the x86 portage has literally exploded with new
38 builds, and if you go to the #gentoo channel at all it appears that
39 there are a LOT of broken things. In fact on my x86 box right now (even
40 with cvs tree) there are a lot of things that just plain don\'t work,
41 and becuase of this the ppc version of things will also be broken.
42
43 I also posted this message to gentoo-core (are you a member of that
44 list?) and got at least an answer from drobbins. I think we will ahve
45 to work with him on getting portage a lot more ARCH friendly, or we are
46 going to have a lot of problems getting things done.
47
48 havin x86 and ppc within the exact same file is a nightmare from where i
49 see it, but if that is the way things need to be then that is how it
50 will be I guess. PPC != x86 for maturity level or code compatability.
51 i would love to see a .ppc.ebuild file as a seperate entity, but that\'s
52 just me. it would solve many problems.
53
54 I also think that one of the first things we have to do with the ppc
55 portage is to mask ot _everything_ that is in x86 portage, and then
56 proceed to unmaks only certified things that work. There are still many
57 things in portage that might not work, but no ones knows as they have
58 probably not even been tried on ppc to this point in time.
59
60 I honestly think that Gentoo needs some \'port\' managers, I.E. people
61 doing QA that can verify that things are proper before things actually
62 get comitted to the public portage, it doesn\'t make sense any other
63 way. Right now peeps can commit wahtever they want and within 30
64 minutes it\'s live! That is scary as ehll from where i see it...for
65 example someone accidentily comitted their hacked up packages.mask file
66 which opened up a whole bevy of stuff to the world and it went for a day
67 before anyone noticed it (eeeeeek).
68
69 Gerk
70
71 P.S. i think we are trying to get an IRC meeting toegether of the PPC
72 peeps, we did it last week as well, but had a poor turnout :( (3 peeps
73 were there). i think that we should try and get this going ASAP and
74 also invite drobbins in (i think he discussed wanting to meet with us on
75 IRC as well).
76
77 P.S.S. If you would like to test some things I can arrange a shell
78 account for you on a PPC box and give you root access until you are up
79 and running again. Email me privately if you want this :)