From: Joe McMahon <mcmahon@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentooppc-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentooppc-dev] Xserve now boots Linux
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:27:47
Today on

 Ben Herrenschmidt has pounded 1U of Apple hardware into submission. The
 Xserve has booted and run GNU/Linux!. There are still some kinks to work
 out, and your favorite distribution's installer may need some tweaks to
 install (check with them). Support in the kernel source trees is
 forthcoming. Word is, running in uniprocessor mode GNU/Linux returned
 data from mysql databases 4 times faster than OSX running in SMP mode.
 This was with the same datasets, same queries, same mysql version, and
 same compile options.

There we go. What would we do without him?

 --- Joe M.