From: Carsten Milling <cmil@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-ppc-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-dev] ppc default USE flags
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:36:05

it seems that with a recent portage upgrade (I'm using 2.0.50-r11) a
whole lot of USE flags have disappeared from the make.defaults in ppc
2004.x profiles. (I just noticed this just today when emerge -UDp all
of a sudden wanted to install gnome-base/orbit which I never needed

So I wonder what might be the reason for this significant truncation
of USE in make.defaults, especially since it seems that the x86
profiles didn't change in a similar way. Has this been announced
somewhere and I just missed it?

As a side note, for some packages I keep seeing duplicate use flags
with emerge -v for quite some time now. For instance, here is the
output of emerge -pv mozilla (lines wrapped for readability):

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] net-www/mozilla-1.7.3  +crypt -debug -debug -gnome
  +gtk2 +gtk2 -java -java +ldap +mozcalendar -mozdevelop -moznocompose
  +moznoirc -moznomail -moznoxft -moznoxft +mozsvg -mozxmlterm +ssl
  -xinerama +xprint  0 kB

It's not e big deal and doesn't seem to cause any problems, but it's
still a little confusing ;)

Best regards,
Carsten Milling