From: Kain <kain@××××.org>
To: gentooppc-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentooppc-dev] new .ISO / build
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 16:46:59
On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 10:41:19AM -0500, Fuper wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-04-23 at 01:14, Kain wrote: > > Sorry for the delays; I have a new ISO/Buildimage up on > > Would all you kind people test it out? > > What is the format of initrd.img? Is that a raw image? BootX docs > claim that the ramdisk image for BootX MUST be named > "ramdisk.image.gz".
initrd.img is a gzipped ext2fs image.
> I suspect that BootX will always attempt to ungzip > the image. (I tried booting via BootX and selected the initrd.img as > the ramdisk image but the kernel aborts with a kernel panic because no > init is found).
One thing people seem to have had issues with is making BootX work with larger kernels/images, which could end up as more of a problem for gentoo. (i.e. My all-pmacs kernel is >~5MB and the ramdisk is 4-5MB compressed (22MB uncompressed.) Also, look just before the init panic and you should see some kernel messages detailing what/how the ramdisk was detected. If you are capable of making BootX work with what's on the current CD or have suggestions for it, please let me know.
> Since I'm an Apple sales rep I may use some slack hours testing the > installer on new Macs too.
It's worked on my TiBook; I would be interested in seeing if it works on the new(er) NVidia-based powermacs & the LCD iMac. -- Hackers do it bottom-up. ** Mad Computer Scientist Bryon Roche, Kain <kain@××××.org>

Subject Author
Re: [gentooppc-dev] new .ISO / build Kevyn Shortell <kevyn@×××.com>