From: Mark Guertin <gerk@g.o>
To: gentooppc-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentooppc-dev] death of my portage
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 12:50:10
1 Hello All
2
3 Well, on 2 of my 3 ppc boxen portage has died today (and I was blamed on
4 killing it by doing a ^C which is supposedly the cause all my problems -
5 accccccck).
6
7 There are far too many things going on inside portage right now to keep up to
8 things, so until the new version of portage drobbins has talked about is out
9 (possibly some time next week) and I can redo all my boxen I will not be
10 doing much of anything in portage.
11
12 We HAVE to educated x86 people immediately on not killing our ARCH and/or
13 ebuilds in general. It is simply just NOT ok to push a new ebuild with
14 absolutely no testing unless it is a simple typeo fix, etc.
15
16 I have been fighting this losing battle pretty much by myself for the past
17 week and don't have time tospend like this on things. With Pieter still out
18 of comission, Doc and daybird are going to be sparadically avail over the
19 summer and trance just getting up to speed on things it leaves myself and
20 kainz (who is up to his eyeballs working in kernels right now) to hold down
21 the fort.
22
23 I have been fixing 4-5 builds/mask problems daily (that are most often fixups
24 for bad updates pushed by other devs), not to mention working on new ebuilds,
25 etc. Those 4-5 things are things that work one day, next day they are broken
26 and has happened almost every single day since I started as a dev.
27
28 I updated my portage tree on one machine today (tree was 3 days old), and
29 there were over 100 (one hundred) changes to the portage tree in 3 days, this
30 is getting rediculous...for example , (still unkown how or why even after I
31 spent most o the morning digging thru cvs logs) binutils got opened up to the
32 world today with a version that (thanks goodness it didnt actually try to
33 install itself) would have literally destroyed functionality on all ppc
34 user's machines that installed it, irrecoverably. Things are out of control,
35 we need QA and we need it _NOW_ damnit!
36
37 I also ask (on behalf of peeps in #gentoo-dev) that anyone making changes to
38 packages or packages.mask filesplease put your name and date in with a
39 comment on ALL changes. This applies to all developers and since 2 ppc devs
40 (no names ;) broke this rule within the last 12 hours I was asked by drobbins
41 to metnion this to the peeps in question. ;)
42
43 Overly frustrated and taking a break
44
45 Gerk