From: Mark Guertin <gerk@g.o>
To: gentooppc-users@g.o
Cc: gentooppc-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentooppc-dev] Bug reporting procedures
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 12:21:55
Hello everyone... just wanted to drop a note here about the procedures to
follow when finding a bug in Gentoo PPC...following this procedure will
greatly help us to remedy things quicker and not have to ask silly questions
after the fact (hopefully)

1) make sure you are running current portage (emerge rsync and try again first
of all).. things move fast in Gentoo and the PPC tree especially right now

2) rm -rf /var/cache/edb/deps/* and try again (sometimes old deps get left
there and cause problems)

3) if the problem still exists please file a bug report on
(after searching if the bug already exists that is), following the bug
reporting guidelines laid out on that site (similar to what I've just posted

4) Be Verbose!! Bugs like "this pkg is broken when I try to install it" is
just not helpful. Any information that may be relevant about your setup, your
USE settings, your machine configuration and kernel version, etc are
extremely helpful

5) if making an attachment on bugs, please read how to do it (have gotten
several attachments lately that were difficult to extract)

6) you can check in on IRC at in #gentoo-ppc ... most
times someone is around that might know what's going on icon_smile.gif

Thanks everyone for helping to make Gentoo PPC the best distro possible and
happy Gentoo'ing all