From: Wes <anomaly256@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-dev] Playstation3 port status woes
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 01:13:52
Thanks for the response!  I see now.  I think the problem from my
perspective then is that the docs need to be updated a bit, as they
all point to the 'experimental' sections of the mirrors, which only
contain old 970-targeting ps3 stage4's.  I see now that 'releases' has
more generic stage3's suitable for rebuilding specifically for

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 12:04 PM, Joseph Jezak <josejx@g.o> wrote:
> Wes wrote: >> Hello, >> >> I'm wondering, who is the maintainer of the PS3 port? I have a few >> issues I'd like to raise. One being the fact that it's been built >> targeting entirely the wrong ppc arch. Several sources I've come >> across state that the pipelines are so different, that doing this >> severely hurts performance, and you are in fact better off targeting >> generic ppc than running 970-targeted binaries on CELL/BE. Also, >> newer gcc's are available now which have an mcpu=cell target and it >> would probably be best to make the playstation3 port..... a >> playstation3 port! And not a ps3 / g5 port. These machines differ so >> much it is incredibly detrimental to try to support both with the 1 >> port. Specially when there are better ports existing already for g5. >> >> Also, the only available release is still a stage4, that hasn't been >> updated in a whole year. While I commend the efforts of the >> maintainer so far (apart from the 970 target mistake), it would be >> nice if they actually maintained the port, or handed off to someone >> more willing if they've grown bored with it. >> >> It is my impression that this specific port currently does not follow >> any Gentoo ideals or philosophy, and is desperately in need of change. >> > The PS3 "port" (stage 4) that you're talking about was a test build done > by one of the PowerPC team developers, Brent Baude, and isn't an > official release, (as far as I know). > > As for a real port, the basic install can be easily done with the > generic ppc/ppc64 stages that we already make! Simply install the > stage3, and recompile the whole system using "emerge world -Duve", > although you may want to rebuild the system targets first. There is no > need for additional stages. By giving you the ability to install on a > multitude of targets, while still allowing for optimization and > configuration, well, that seem like it meets the Gentoo ideals and > philosophy! > > That said, we probably do need to make an updated minimal install CD for > PS3 if one doesn't already exist. Unfortunately, the PPC team doesn't > have a whole lot of man-power at this time, so that will get done as > soon as someone decides that it needs to be done and has the time to do it. > > Again, you can use *any* LiveCD (even other distros!) to boot the > system, but the current PowerPC stages are adequate to complete a fully > optimized Gentoo on PS3 install. > > Hope that helps, > -Joe > >

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-ppc-dev] Playstation3 port status woes Joseph Jezak <josejx@g.o>