From: dams@g.o
To: gentoo-ppc-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-dev] compilation machine
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 14:35:15
1 Hello guys,
2
3 As I told some of you in frankfurt, I might have the possibility of getting a
4 big hp machine. Here is what it is
5
6 http://peoples.mandrakesoft.com/~erwan/doc/lxr8500.pdf
7
8 This machine has :
9
10 8*Xeon900Mhz(2M cache) yes, 8 cpus
11 16G of Ram yes, 16 giga
12 2*18G hard drive in RAID1
13
14 the bad things :
15 it weights 65 kg
16 it is big (6U)
17 it eats power (1.5 KW)
18 it can have only 2 hard drives
19 the RAM access is not the fastest in the world
20
21 but this machine still kicks ass :) It can handle 1000 of loads, and you have
22 still control (has been tested). I don't know if it delivers more instant power
23 than a dual g5 though.
24
25 This could be perfect for compilation, or cross compilation. And for anything
26 cpu consuming task.
27
28 Maybe it would need new hard drives, but it is expensive.
29
30 Would this be useful ?
31
32 The guy is ok to give it to us if it is fully used. So we need to list him what
33 we have today, and how we would use this machine.
36 dams
39 gentoo-ppc-dev@g.o mailing list