From: David Chamberlain <daybird@g.o>
To: gentooppc-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentooppc-dev] sandbox
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 09:26:51
1 Hi Olivier
2
3 You can put "sandbox" in the FEATURES line of your make.conf.
4
5 Portage normally installs ebuilds in 4 stages:
6
7 unpack - unpack the source into /var/tmp/portage/packagenameandversion/work/
8 compile - configure and compile the source, still in that directory
9 install - go through the install stage, but install entirely into
10 /var/tmp/portage/packagenameandversion/image/
11 merge - if all this works, transfer the files from image/ into user's
12 filesystem, but don't overwrite protected config files.
13
14 If you use the command "ebuild" you can step through this process stage
15 by stage.
16
17 It's a big part of the gentoo philosophy that your filesystem should not
18 be touched until the last (merge) stage, but a lot of programs will
19 attempt to install outside of image/, even when the ebuild specifies
20 DESTDIR or uses other tricks. I was having this problem with pbbuttons,
21 since the Makefile has an extra script at the end to install the config
22 file, and it was determined to leave the confines of image/.
23
24 If you have sandbox turned on, emerge/ebuild will catch such violations
25 and stop the install; and usually alert you pretty clearly to what went
26 wrong. If you don't have it turned on, the install will probably
27 continue fine, but other things might go wrong. Amongst other things,
28 config files installed into /etc like this will overwrite older ones -
29 not a good thing.
30
31 It looks like it's turned off by default in the ppc profile, so I was
32 wondering if this was done for a reason - i.e. it's broken on ppc - or
33 if I'm the only one that's having a problem with it. If you want to try
34 it out, I don't think it will break anything permanently - if it freezes
35 portage, as it did for me, you just have to turn it off again. If it is
36 broken, that's a problem for ppc development - I'm OK because I can
37 double-check ebuilds on my PC, but we don't want to require that of
38 everyone writing ebuilds on a ppc.
39
40 Regards,
41