From: Lars Weiler <pylon@g.o>
To: ppc@g.o, gentoo-ppc-dev@××××××××××××.org
Cc: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-dev] Summary of PPC team meeting
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 20:43:05
1 On Fri, March 18, 20UTC until 22UTC the ppc-team had a meeting about those
2 topics:
3
4 1) project management elections
5 2) future goals
6 3) AltiVec in portage
7 4) QEMU ABI wrapper
8 5) Kernel issues
9 6) LiveCD
10 7) ppc64 and ppc merger
11
12 This is a summary of the topics:
13
14 1) project management elections
15
16 There should be lead-elections every six months, say after a release, or when
17 it is needed. You can volunteer for the Operational or Strategical Lead (or
18 both). You have to write your plans and tell them to the team. Then a voting
19 will take place via email. You can vote for one or several candidates. If
20 there are two with the same ammount of votes, there will be a further election
21 between those two. If you ran for both Operational and Strategical Lead you
22 need to declare which one is your first choice.
25 2) future goals
26
27 Instead of project goals posted with the beginning of a year, the ppc team
28 want to release quarterly updates about the goals. An example of those could
29 be found at the Gentoo Documentation Project. The Strategical Lead has to
30 track the goals and is responsible for their publication.
31
32 The current goals for 2005.0 are:
33 - OldWorld Support for 2005.0
34 - XLiveDVD for ppc
35 - Support of more machines
36 - compatibility list of PowerPCs with Gentoo running
37 - merge pegasos-sources into gentoo-(dev-)sources
38 - (better) support for CHRP/PReP
39 - support the installer
40 - better AltiVec support
41
42 And the all-time goals are:
43 - stable portage-tree
44 - minimized buglist
45 - at least two releases in a year
46 - having a nice time in the team :)
47
48 To keep a minimized buglist we want to introduce ppc-bugdays again. They
49 should take place monthly or even more often when it's needed. Best for devs
50 would be around Saturday afternoon (depending on their timezone).
51
52 The next ppc-bugday is on the same day like the usual bugday: April 2. To
53 find good users who may become a dev, we will talk about the bugs in
54 #gentoo-ppc.
57 3) AltiVec in portage
58
59 Some poitns about AltiVec:
60 1. gcc-4 will have an autovectorizer
61 2. the linux kernel will have an improved AltiVec support (avoiding vrsave on
62 non AltiVec tasks)
63 3. AltiVec abi for non AltiVec code is relatively slow
64
65 And there are two plans to resolve the problems:
66 1. keep wide AltiVec support and suggest to use -mabi=altivec everywhere and
67 maybe use the autovectorizer
68 2. restrict altivec to the AltiVec enable packages and make the others use the
69 non-AltiVec abi (which includes work on proper flag-o-matic support)
70 3. work on an AltiVec enabled glibc
71
72 We decided to work on 2 and 3.
75 4) QEMU ABI wrapper
76
77 qemu is nice. lu_zero wants to a binfmt hack, so that we can run
78 non-ppc-applications on ppc. But he can't do that alone and so he is
79 searching for other devs. It's a nice attempt, but we have higher prioritated
80 situations to solve.
83 5) Kernel issues
84
85 We found out recently, that the 2.6.11-kernel produce several problems on ppc.
86 At least three could be named:
87 - RTC/hwclock hickups on several machines
88 - linker problems with special kernel configs (a guess might be the highmem
89 support)
90 - compile-problems on G5 32bit
91
92 These made us to use a 2.6.10-kernel with 2.6.11-patches backported for the
93 release. In the long term the G5 32bit-kernel support will vanish, so that we
94 only support ppc32 on 32-bit-machines.
97 6) LiveCD
98
99 The release's LiveCD is about to be finished. Currently only the kernel
100 causes problems, as not all patches has been commited to CVS (nb: at time of
101 writing the summary this isn't an issue any more). G3G4-support works well,
102 and the G5 has also been tested on two machines. The Pegasos-kernel causes
103 some headaches, but there is at least one compiled kernel which can boot quite
104 properly. Stages has been tested quite well, GRP not, but that isn't such an
105 issue.
106
107 Thanks go to all supporters for this release!
110 7) ppc64 and ppc
111
112 With the dwindling support for the 32-bit G5 kernel becoming more apparent and
113 the 64-bit kernel support under rapid development tgall and dostrow would
114 like to propose a partial merger of the ppc and ppc64 teams for the following
115 purposes: all ppc64 hardware is able to run with 3 different userlands, a
116 pure 64-bit environment as we have now, a 64-bit kernel with a 32-bit
117 userland, which is very easy to create, and a multilib environment, which as
118 soon as dostrow gets finished, making hardened work on ppc64. Two of the
119 three of these configs allow regular 32-bit ppc binaries to run on the system
120 and the ppc64 team lacks the manpower to handle troubleshooting both 64 and 32
121 bit issues.
122
123 There was no objection during the meeting from noone of the attendees by the
124 ppc and ppc64 team.
125
126 That means, we will work an a common-profile with sub-profiles for ppc and
127 ppc64. A first target-date would be the 2005.1 release. The masterplan[tm]
128 for the team-merge should be presented at the next meeting (in about four
129 weeks).