From: Wes <anomaly256@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-dev] Playstation3 port status woes
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 00:50:59
1 Hello,
2
3 I'm wondering, who is the maintainer of the PS3 port? I have a few
4 issues I'd like to raise. One being the fact that it's been built
5 targeting entirely the wrong ppc arch. Several sources I've come
6 across state that the pipelines are so different, that doing this
7 severely hurts performance, and you are in fact better off targeting
8 generic ppc than running 970-targeted binaries on CELL/BE. Also,
9 newer gcc's are available now which have an mcpu=cell target and it
10 would probably be best to make the playstation3 port..... a
11 playstation3 port! And not a ps3 / g5 port. These machines differ so
12 much it is incredibly detrimental to try to support both with the 1
13 port. Specially when there are better ports existing already for g5.
14
15 Also, the only available release is still a stage4, that hasn't been
16 updated in a whole year. While I commend the efforts of the
17 maintainer so far (apart from the 970 target mistake), it would be
18 nice if they actually maintained the port, or handed off to someone
19 more willing if they've grown bored with it.
20
21 It is my impression that this specific port currently does not follow
22 any Gentoo ideals or philosophy, and is desperately in need of change.