From: Olivier Reisch <gentoo@××××××××.net>
To: gentooppc-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentooppc-dev] CUPS not working anymore...
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 07:31:29

Just an update for the DEV people...

I unmerged all of cups (emerge unmerge cups and deleted all the cups related
files in /etc/cups, /etc/init.d and /etc/pam.d) and installed the source
tarball from

And oh wonder, printing works like a charm now. Taking a close look at
/etc/cups/cupsd.conf I couldn't find any difference with the gentoo package's
conf file, so I have the vague impression the ebuild produces bad binaries or
something... or maybe uses bad compile options. I compiled using a plain
./configure --enable-ssl (for the working source tarball). Thinking of it,
maybe the optimized CFLAGS or CXXFLAGS in make.conf might be responsible too,
no idea...

But I guess that's something we should look into, as I can imagine that it
will affect other users too. It would be nice if someone could try it on
their machine with the cups ebuild ...

On Wednesday 29 May 2002 11:21, Olivier Reisch wrote:
> When I initially installed Gentoo, I also set up my printer using the CUPS > driver and it worked perfectly. Now yesterday (since then I made a lot of > package updates of course) I wanted to use my printer and had to see it was > no longer recognized by cups. lpinfo -v didn't even see my /dev/usb/lp0 > although it was there and had read/write permissions, etc. > > I then removed all of cups and reinstalled, same problem. I was then > finally able to pin that error down to the fact that I had my /etc/hosts > file not set up like expected by cups and/or PAM. After changing it back to > localhost, I was finally able to readd my printer to the list, > set it up, etc. However only using the KDE Print Center. Using the web > interface, I got a Request Entity Too Large error message by the cups web > server. > > Ok, so now I got the printer set up and recognized again, yet it still > doesn't print. If I try to print a test page from the KDE Print Center, I > get a "server-error-service-unavailable" error message, if I try to print a > test page from the web interface, I get a "client-error-gone" error > message. > > This starts ticking me off, as I can't find any valid reason why it does > that. I guess it has somehow been broken either by the latest cups ebuild > (r4, i know it worked under r3) or by the recent PAM updates. > > I'll be thankful for any ideas or suggestions.

Subject Author
Re: [gentooppc-dev] CUPS not working anymore... Kain <kain@××××.org>