From: Calum Selkirk <cselkirk@g.o>
To: gentooppc-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentooppc-dev] Re: default /etc/syctl.conf and keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 23:36:13
1 * Mark Guertin [gerk@g.o] [2002-07-24 15:07 -0500]:
2
3 > > I would have to agree with Mr. Trance on this one. Gentoo-ppc
4 > > standard kernels don't use CONFIG_MAC_ADBKEYCODES, and unless you
5 > > have a REALLY old kbdutils/consoletools, I can't think of a reason
6 > > to use this feature any longer.
7 >
8 > I can see both points though, if we had this I could include something
9 > in Xeasyconf (if I ever find the time to sit down with it and write
10 > some things again) to ask for keycodes for mouse button emulation, and
11 > could (optionally) also set the linux keycodes for the keyboard at the
12 > same time.
13
14 I guess the main point is to enforce linux_keycodes and to stop anyone
15 using non-gentoo kernels asking why the "kbd is b0rked". Having the
16 (commented) button{2,3}_keycode is just a pointer for any pokie nosed
17 user.
18
19 > I have seen several requests that met with approval on the x86 lists
20 > asking the same sort of thing be used (/etc/sysctl.conf). I think it
21 > might be something good to impliment, just how many users do you think
22 > will actually pay attention to this detail even if we tell them ;)
23
24 I'm not betting any M&M's on it ;)
25
26 best