From: Mark Guertin <gerk@g.o>
To: Stuart Jansen <sjansen@×××.edu>, gentooppc-user@g.o
Cc: gentooppc-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentooppc-dev] Re: [gentooppc-user] ppc KEYWORDS (aka why ebuilds may not be found)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 18:15:35
On Tuesday 13 August 2002 18:28, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> That said, let me say that as a user I've been very frustrated by the > handling of this change. I subscribe to the lists for the very purpose > of being informed of these changes. Unfortunately, the ebuilds started > to change more than four days before the announcement was sent out. It > seems to me this is the opposite of what should have happened. >
Hi Stuart, yes valid complaints, but we also did plead for help testing builds at the end of July. I probably should have been more vocal before unmaksing. I am the guilty party that unmasked the new portage, as it was a necessity. The older release with no keywords had some problems and this was sadly holding back many other things that needed fixing. Given the poor (read ZERO) response from the lists and the fact that a large number of packages were keyworded, it was released. Sorry, was a necessary evil :(
> Now that that's off my chest, I'll see if I have some time to build and > test this evening. Thanks again for making such a wonderful distro > available on ppc.
Thanks :) And any help testing would be very much appreciated by all. The sheer volume of new and updated ebuilds in portage daily can be staggering and I believe we should be pushing hard for quality over quantity in the ppc port. I would rather see it take a tiny bit longer to get a new build to ppc users than to have a whole lot of people install something that doesn't work for them and/or potentially breaks their system :( Gerk