From: Carl Hudkins <carl@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] No local video on PowerMac 8600 - Help?
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 01:15:44
1 On Monday 01 September 2003 12:00, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2
3 > When I installed Gentoo on my PM 7300 a few months back, I ran into
4 > this same problem. I seem to remember it being because I didn't have
5 > framebuffer support enabled in the kernel. Or maybe it was I had the
6 > wrong framebuffer enabled or was specifying the wrong video driver on
7 > the kernel command line. I can't quite remember.
8
9 Status report: It's working now! Thanks to you and Andrew McCall for
10 ideas.
11
12 I'm not entirely sure what fixed it, because I enabled more video options
13 when I installed 2.4.21-ppc-r2 today. I also added "video=0" to the
14 options in BootX, and upon startup I suddenly got a full screen of
15 scrolling text with a little penguin at the top. He didn't stay long,
16 but I thought it was cool anyway.
17 Next up, X configuration -- it works over VNC, but of course it needs to
18 work locally as well. Xeasyconf gives me a nice and simple interface to
19 produce a config file that doesn't work at all: "No screens found". Oh,
20 well... time to hit google again!
21
22 Hm, maybe next weekend I'll tackle bootsplash. ;)
25 // Carl Hudkins :: Jabber yther@××××××××.info :: PGP 50238D9E
26 //
27 // "German beer is chemical-free / Germany's all right with me!"
28 // --"Why Aye Man", Mark Knopfler