From: Ben Sayer <bsayer@×××××××.net>
To: gentooppc-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentooppc-user] Speed questions
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 20:15:26
1 >Does Gentoo provide a notable speed bump over my other options? And how
2 >hard is it to optimally configure the kernel? I've done it a fair number
3 >of times on the x86, but never on PPC and am unfamiliar with the
4 differences.
5
6 I've run three different, current distros on my PowerBook G3
7 (Wallstreet). The latest SuSE was faster than the latest Mandrake, but
8 Gentoo beats both hands down. This is based on a completely subjective
9 impression of performance (or sluggishness in the case of Mandrake) in X,
10 using KDE.
11
12 Configuring the kernel is not too bad. For me it's like the first few
13 times I did it on an x86 box--It just takes a while to absorb all the
14 options and how they inter-relate.
15
16 --Ben