From: Joe McMahon <mcmahon@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentooppc-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentooppc-user] emerging the system get's aborted was Re:vi
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 14:22:25
1 On Sat, 18 May 2002, electric-light-heads wrote:
2
3 > hi
4 > thanx 4 answering the Qs on vi..
5 > am looking forward to emerge vim @ gentoo
6 > BUT BEFORE THAT
7 > am struggling at the installing (gentoo from debian) process..
8 > did a further resaerch via the web
9 > and..
10 >
11 > extracted the stage1 @ the mounted /mnt/gentoo
12 > did the
13 > mount -o bind /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
14 > thang
15 > cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc
16 > cp /etc/hosts /mnt/gentoo/etc
17 > was done
18 > edited fstab & make.conf
19 >
20 > chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
21 > emerge sync
22 > env-update
23 > emerge rsync
24 > source /etc/profile
25 > ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/Japan /etc/localtime
26 > went ok
27 >
28 > emerge -fetchonly for
29 > baselayout,gcc,glibe,binutils,gettext and system
30 > also had no problem
31 >
32 > BUT
33 >
34 > emerge system
35 >
36 > made me wait for a long time and resulted into
37 >
38 > !!emerge aborting on /usr/portage/sys-libs/db/db-3.2.3h-r4.ebuild
39 >
40 > (don't know how to copy the log yet...excuse me)
41 >
42 > mmmmmmm...
43 >
44 > am trying thing @ iBook-Tangerine
45 > and the partition 4 gentoo's root is only 500M
46 > will it be impossible anyway?
47 >
48 Urk. You will probably run out of room when you start trying to download
49 and unpack the source trees for stuff like XFree86 and Mozilla; maybe even
50 as early as the initial glibc build.
51 I've got 9 GB devoted to gentoo right now; it's a little more than half
52 full, but I've installed quite a few packages.
53
54 > thanx in advance...
55 >
56 > PS
57 >
58 > anyway is there also the original vi @ gentoo's tree?
59 > if vim requires X then i would stick to vi..
60 > does it?
61
62 > wanna be a Sound oriented Gentoo user but controling thangs
63 > only from the promt-mode..
66 --- Joe M.