From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] X on an older PPC-based Mac Mini?
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 15:12:11
On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 7:58 AM, Ajai Khattri <ajai@××××.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 22 May 2009, Mark Knecht wrote: > >>  Are there any known issues setting up X with xorgconfig on a older >> Mac Mini? I've done it more or less like I do on my x86 machines. I >> can use startx and see things (xterm, xclock, etc.) in 'top' but I >> only get a black screen. There are no error messages in the X log >> file. I've tried two monitors. Same results on both. >> >>  In make.cong I've got VIDEO_CARDS="radeon fbdev". >> >>  What about hal? Is that only x86? >> >>  Maybe someone with a similar first round Mac Mini has a known-good >> config file? >> >>  I'm really a noob on this platform, but have used Gentoo for quite >> awhile. I'm not sure what info to provide so let me know what you need >> and I'll get it quickly. > > I have a similar problem. > > I did have XFCE running quite happily on an old G3 (Blue&White) PowerMac, > but the recent X server upgrades have borked that up completely. Ive > followed the upgrade guides without getting anywhere. Im looking for a X > config file too. > > Doesn't seem to be much traffic on this list though... >
No, this list is pretty dead. I Was shocked when I looked at the archives how little traffic there had been. I got past my problems without really needing X. My Mac Mini is now acting as a headless backend MythTV server. I don't need or even want X on that machine. When I posted my question I was in the process of debug and could have used it then but it wasn't to be. None the less it would be good to figure out what's wrong with X on the Mac Mini and get it working for your needs. Cheers, Mark

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] X on an older PPC-based Mac Mini? mattmatteh@×××.com