From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Mac Mini PPC - Is this the right list?
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 20:37:49
1 On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 1:15 PM, matt hull <mattmatteh@×××.com> wrote:
4 > This is my first PPC machine. I have used Gentoo for years as a
5 > user type so I've probably built 30 x86 boxes but never a PPC so I
6 > wasn't sure how to configure the kernel by hand so I swiped the
7 > /proc/config.gz fine from the CD boot environment and pushed it down
8 > into the chroot to use to configure my first PPC kernel. Does that
9 > sound reasonable for a Mac Mini? I ran make oldconfig and just hit
10 > enter until it finished. I figured if that kernel config could boot
11 > the machine from the CD it should be OK for a first kernel from the
12 > hard drive. Would you agree
13 > the gentoo handbook tells you how to configure the kernel.
14 >
15 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-ppc.xml?part=1&chap=7
16 >
17 > Code Listing 3.1: Invoking menuconfig
20 > # cd /usr/src/linux
21 > # make pmac32_defconfig
22 > # make menuconfig
23 >
24 > the default enables most if not all the ppc options you might need. after
25 > you get it working you will probably want to start removing some.
26 >
27 > matt
28
29 Thanks Matt. I have the system built and running at this point. I had
30 some trouble with yaboot, and still am to some extent, but the machine
31 is booting and I can ssh in so I'm in pretty good shape at this point.
32
33 My question at this time is how to append kernel boot options in
34 /etc/yaboot.conf. When I boot the apple kernel from the Gentoo CD then
35 when it switches to (I guess) the framebuffer where I see Tux the text
36 on my monitor is jerky and not too readable. However if I use the
37 suggested version
38
39 apple video=ofonly
40
41 then the text is fine. Scanning around on the web I found this example
42 of how to do the same thing in yaboot.conf:
43
44 image=/boot/kernel-2.4.26-gentoo-r3
45 label=2.4.26-gentoo-r3
46 root=/dev/hda4
47 append="video=ofonly"
48 read-only
49
50 I have added this to my /etc/yaboot.conf file but the video is still
51 jumping around and isn't too readable.
52
53 None the less the machine is completely up and running and doing an
54 emerge -DuN system so this machine, which has sat on the shelf
55 untouched for over a year, is not usable hardware thanks to Gentoo.
56
57 Cheers,
58 Mark
59 --