From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] What new profile for an old Mac Mini as a MythTV backend server?
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 17:47:22
1 On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 10:35 AM, Joseph Jezak <josejx@g.o> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>    I have an older ppc-based Mac Mini that I haven't updated in a
5 >> while but would like to try using as a MythTV backend server for
6 >> digital recording only. I don't have a lot of experience with my Mac
7 >> running Gentoo. I set it up last year but never used it much as a
8 >> frontend. I like the machine. It's quiet and doesn't draw much power
9 >> or take up much space so I'm looking for a use for it. The HD Homerun
10 >> digital tuner outputs MPEG so there isn't much processing power
11 >> required and I'll be saving everything to an external 1394 drive so it
12 >> seems to me this is a pretty good match and won't take me too much
13 >> time to test out.
14 >>
15 >>    My question is which new profile to choose. It was set up last year
16 >> with a 2007.0 profile which is now depreciated. when I look at the
17 >> long list of options the question that comes up for me and this
18 >> application is whether to choose the standard 2008.0 profile or the
19 >> 2008.0 32-bit userland-profile.
20 >>
21 >>    Does anyone with more experience on this platform have any inputs
22 >> they want to make? I'm leaning toward the standard profile which I
23 >> think is 64-bit? I assume that's the difference between these two?
24 >>
25 >> Thanks,
26 >> Mark
29 > Nope, the standard profile for this machine is a 32 bit profile. The 32
30 > bit profile that you're looking at is probably the 32 bit profile for 64
31 > bit machines and shouldn't be used on the Mini. All PPC Mac Mini's are
32 > 32 bit PowerPC chips (G4's).
33 >
34 > Hope that helps,
35 > -Joe
36
37 Ah, my mistake. I didn't notice the ppc32/ppc64 difference earlier in the path.
38
39 Thanks. I've selectedwhat I think is the correct one:
40
41 [11] default/linux/powerpc/ppc32/2008.0 *
42
43 I'm excited about maybe getting some use out of this machine. It's
44 just been sitting here for 3 years now doing nothing. Maybe it will
45 become useful.
46
47 Cheers,
48 Mark