From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] What new profile for an old Mac Mini as a MythTV backend server?
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 17:47:22
On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 10:35 AM, Joseph Jezak <josejx@g.o> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote: >> Hi, >>    I have an older ppc-based Mac Mini that I haven't updated in a >> while but would like to try using as a MythTV backend server for >> digital recording only. I don't have a lot of experience with my Mac >> running Gentoo. I set it up last year but never used it much as a >> frontend. I like the machine. It's quiet and doesn't draw much power >> or take up much space so I'm looking for a use for it. The HD Homerun >> digital tuner outputs MPEG so there isn't much processing power >> required and I'll be saving everything to an external 1394 drive so it >> seems to me this is a pretty good match and won't take me too much >> time to test out. >> >>    My question is which new profile to choose. It was set up last year >> with a 2007.0 profile which is now depreciated. when I look at the >> long list of options the question that comes up for me and this >> application is whether to choose the standard 2008.0 profile or the >> 2008.0 32-bit userland-profile. >> >>    Does anyone with more experience on this platform have any inputs >> they want to make? I'm leaning toward the standard profile which I >> think is 64-bit? I assume that's the difference between these two? >> >> Thanks, >> Mark >> >> > Nope, the standard profile for this machine is a 32 bit profile. The 32 > bit profile that you're looking at is probably the 32 bit profile for 64 > bit machines and shouldn't be used on the Mini. All PPC Mac Mini's are > 32 bit PowerPC chips (G4's). > > Hope that helps, > -Joe
Ah, my mistake. I didn't notice the ppc32/ppc64 difference earlier in the path. Thanks. I've selectedwhat I think is the correct one: [11] default/linux/powerpc/ppc32/2008.0 * I'm excited about maybe getting some use out of this machine. It's just been sitting here for 3 years now doing nothing. Maybe it will become useful. Cheers, Mark