From: darren kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] xorg not working.
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 22:16:12
Yeah well, me again. Seems I'm the only one having trouble with PPC these

I got Xorg 7.1, fluxbox, and KDE installed. After creating an xorg.conf with
Xorgautoconfig I quickly realized I indeed had the problem hinted at re: VGA
BIOS. So I ~ppc64 keyworded xf86-video-ati and emerged version 6.6.3 which
applies the patch that was also hinted at. The results are identical however.
X starts and is running, as is fluxbox, but there is nothing on my screen.
The only difference is that this time the power LED on my montor goes out
when I start X, whereas before it stayed on.

Also, there is a difference in Xorg.0.log: X now seems to think that I have a
second CRT monitor attached!?

(II) RADEON(0): Primary:
 Monitor   -- TMDS
 Connector -- DVI-D
 DAC Type  -- TVDAC/ExtDAC
 TMDS Type -- Internal
 DDC Type  -- DVI_DDC
(II) RADEON(0): Secondary:
 Monitor   -- CRT
 Connector -- VGA
 DAC Type  -- Primary
 TMDS Type -- External
 DDC Type  -- VGA_DDC

I have tried with the default xorg.conf that was generated, and I tried all
manner of tweaks that I gleamed from gentoo-wiki, "man xorg.conf", and "man
radeon". I have tried commenting and uncommenting individual "Options" from
xorg.conf but the result is always the same.

I have tried dropping down to 16 bit color depth and down to 1600x1024
resolution, with no joy.

Can anyone even confirm that they have gotten an 23" cinema display and a
radeon 9600 to work with Xorg? I would _really_ love to see your xorg.conf if
you have.

I don't know what else to say. There are no errors in my log (though there are
some warnings). If you want/need further information just let me know...

I have posted the log and my current conf file in my webspace:

PowerMac G5 2x 2.0GHz
Ati Radeon 9600
23" Apple Cinema Display

I would appreciate any ideas.

darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 ::
gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list