From: Calum Selkirk <cselkirk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@g.o
Cc: gentooppc-user@g.o
Subject: [gentooppc-user] Re: gentoo-ppc
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 06:59:55
* System Administrator [sysadm@×××××××××××.com] [2002-06-11 15:59 -0400]:

> In the ppc install instructions it says > > Note: Be sure that /etc/make.conf has the ppc settings. It should > probably just be a link to /usr/portage/profiles/default-ppc.
At one point in time gentoo-ppc had it's own portage whereas now it uses gentoo-portage (along with the x86 and sparc ports). The quickstart was (AIR) written prior to this merger. If you are using the 1.2.{iso,tbz2) then the /etc/make.conf SYNC variable will point to gentoo-portage, which i believe is what the quickstart author (David Chamberlain) means by "ppc-settings" (along with CFLAGS and CHOST).
> My question is 1. is this old info, 2.what does this mean, am i to > create a link named /etc/make.conf pointing at > /usr/portage/profiles/default-ppc, (this by the way is a directory?)? > What about the existing make.conf, the text file is this only good for > x86 installs?
My guess is that this was written prior to portage 1.8.9. I think (and David can correct me) this now means make.profile being sym-linked to /usr/portage/defualt/defualt-ppc-1.0 OK we need better docs ;) PPC questions are best fielded in the gentooppc-user list (here Cc'd) see: HTH cal ps. <= another gentoo-ppc user in NY oiii

Subject Author
Re: [gentooppc-user] Re: install guide and make.profile David Chamberlain <daybird@g.o>