From: darren kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] Missing modules after kernel upgrade
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 02:38:09
Hello all,

I finally got around to updating my kernel to 2.6.20-gentoo-r5 today, but have
run into a snag. I did the usual 'make vmlinux && make modules_install' as
per the guide, copied vmlinux to /boot, edited yaboot.conf, ran 'ybin -v' and
rebooted. Everything seemed good until it started failing on load for
everything I built as a module. A little strange...

OK, so I have a look at my modules:

# ls /lib/modules/2.6.20-gentoo-r5/
build   modules.alias   modules.dep          modules.inputmap   modules.ofmap
modules.seriomap  modules.usbmap
kernel  modules.ccwmap  modules.ieee1394map  modules.isapnpmap  modules.pcimap
modules.symbols   source

looks good...
# ls /lib/modules/2.6.20-gentoo-r5/kernel

Waaahhh? There's nothing there?

I tried to install them again, thinking I messed up:
# make modules_install
if [ -r -a -x /sbin/depmod ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F
2.6.20-gentoo-r5; fi

So where did my modules go? I can assure you all that I *configured* them:
# grep "=m" .config | head -n5
# grep "=m" .config | wc -l

Does anyone know what I've done wrong here? This is sort of bizarre. I re-read
the kernel's README, but 'make modules_install' is still valid. As I say,
kernel is 2.6.20-gentoo-r5 (gentoo-sources), machine is a Powermac G5, 64-bit
userland, what else do you need to know? Just ask...

Thanks for consideration,

darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 ::
gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Missing modules after kernel upgrade darren kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>