From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?!
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 18:29:58
1 On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Joseph Jezak <josejx@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 >>> Okay, so we fixed the first thing. That's good. :) Can you attach your
4 >>> whole kernel config? I'm wondering if maybe udev isn't running properly
5 >>> due to a misconfiguration.
6 >>>
7 >>> -Joe
8 >> Attached unless GMail does something to it.
9 >>
10 >> Thanks,
11 >> Mark
12 >
13 > Another busy week, but I think we might have your answer.
14 >
15 > Disable these options in your kernel config, recompile and give it a try:
16 > CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=y
17 > CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2=y
18 >
19 > I think these options interfere with udev.
20 > -Joe
21
22 Thank you Joe. For the first time in a couple of months the machine just booted.
23
24 Note that I didn't easily find CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED in make
25 menuconfig so I only disabled CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2 which was
26 enough to allow it to boot.
27
28 I took a quick look at the PPC install guide and frankly I don't see
29 instructions there to disable this option, although I have done this
30 on other machines. Is it just me or are the instructions actually not
31 in the kernel config section. If they are truly missing then it would
32 be great if someone could update that.
33
34 Anyway, it seems completely unreasonable for me, after all this, to
35 just say thanks for the help. It doesn't begin to represent how
36 appreciative I am of the time you spent looking into this with me. I
37 really am indebted.
38
39 Cheers,
40 Mark