From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?!
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 20:30:55
On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:04 PM, Joseph Jezak <josejx@g.o> wrote:
>  My responses are inline this time. It's easier when there's so much > going on! > > On 09/23/10 16:41, Mark Knecht wrote: >> Two pictures posted: >> >> Top half of boot screen: >> >> >> Bottom half of boot screen >> >> > > Okay, these look exactly as expected. You've booted into the shell fine > and the kernel does detect the hard drive fine. It appears that the disk > was not cleanly unmounted, which is what the messages in the bottom > picture indicate. Once you get USB working so we can type into the > console, we'll take a look at what's actually going on. > >> Full USB HID support is built as modular. I don't seem to be able to >> change it to built in. make menuconfig is only giving me modular or >> not set.  (Kernel config USB info this is set is at the end) > If you use menuconfig and you go to the "Help" option, it will tell you > what dependencies need to be set in order to build the module. Most > likely, you did not set the USB subsystem itself to be built in. >> lspci says the controller is an Apple controller and the driver is >> 'macio' which seems sensible. I see it in the boot screen I think. >> That driver is built in, but the PATA_MACIO driver is not: >> >> (chroot) livecd linux # cat .config | grep MACIO >> # CONFIG_PATA_MACIO is not set >> CONFIG_ADB_MACIO=y >> (chroot) livecd linux # >> >> Maybe I've mistakenly left the right disk driver out of the kernel >> thinking the hardware was SATA based? Does the PATA_MACIO option need >> to be set for the Mac Mini? I don't understand how this kernel config >> would have ever worked befor unless I'm confusing where it came from. >> > > You're using the old style driver which results in devices named hdX#. > It's called IDE_PMAC. The new driver which uses the sdX# naming > convention (and uses libpata), is called PATA_MACIO. > >> Does the append="init=/bin/bash" command allow the kernel to load >> drivers or do I need to build USBHID into the kernel to get the >> keyboard to work at this level of boot? > > I would built it in for now, it'll be easier since there's no good way > to get into the system to tell it to load the drivers. > > -Joe > >
Hi Joe, OK - I got USB working and with the append="init=/bin/bash" in I can at least do cd and ls commands. All the devices you asked about exist - /dev/hda1 through 20, /dev/hdb1 through 20, /dev/null and /dev/zero - all exist. Doing know if it's a clue but in this append="init=/bin/bash" state I was unable to do a reboot or a shutdown as it complained about missing initctl I think? Being that I made a number of changes to the kernel config to get USB working I remove the append line from yaboot.conf and tried booting into Gentoo proper but it's still stopping at the same place with the same message about no mtab file. I'll put the append back in and wait for further ideas. Thanks for sticking with me! Cheers, Mark

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?! Enlightened User <linux@×××××.com>