From: Joseph Jezak <josejx@g.o>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?!
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 13:55:49
1 Sorry, I've had a busy week and didn't have time to respond!
2
3 > OK - to me this doesn't look good:
4 >
5 > # mount -t procfs none /proc
6 > mount:none has wrong device number or fs type procfs not supported
7
8 Sorry, that was my mistake, I was running from memory. :) You have the
9 right invocation below.
10
11 > on the off chance you menat proc instead of procfs I tried it that way
12 > and got a slightly more reasonable message:
13 >
14 > # mount -t proc none /proc
15 > can't create lock file /etc/mtab~1038: Read-only file system (use -n
16 > flag to override)
17 >
18 >> Now, try fsck.ext3 again. Does it work?
19 >>
20 > Worked fine. fsck.ext3 said it was clean
23 Cool, so now we know that fsck is fine.
24
25 >> Next, let's remount the root file system read/write so we can modify files:
26 >> # mount -o remount,rw /
27 >>
28 > Seemed to work. Got this message:
29 >
30 > EXT3-fs: (hda4):using internal journal
31 >
32 >> We'll copy the current mount information from proc to /etc/mtab and see
33 >> if that helps:
34 >> # cp /proc/self/mounts /etc/mtab
35 >> # mount -o remount,ro /
36 >>
37 >> Now, try fsck.ext3 again. Does it work?
38 >>
39 >> If so, try rebooting the system again. Does it boot now?
40 >>
41 > Didn't boot but got a little farther. Doesn't complain about mtab
42 > anymore but still complains:
43 >
44 > * Checking root filesystem...
45 > fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hda4
46 > /dev/hda4:
47 > The superblock could not be read......
50 Okay, so we fixed the first thing. That's good. :) Can you attach your
51 whole kernel config? I'm wondering if maybe udev isn't running properly
52 due to a misconfiguration.
53
54 -Joe