From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?!
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 23:09:43
On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 1:52 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Joseph Jezak <josejx@g.o> wrote:
>> The old PMAC_IDE driver is getting picked before the PATA_MACIO driver. >> If you'd like to try the newer driver, you'll need to disable the old >> one first. > > OK - I'll go back in and look at my kernel config again. Thought I'd > post these results for now. >
OK, I switched to the newer PMAC_MACIO driver built into the kernel. Names changed but the result is the same - now it fails /dev/sda4 * Checking root filesystem... fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda4 /dev/sda4: The superblock could not be read or does not describe... Note one interesting difference with the newer driver is that I couldn't run fsck.ext3 until I rebuilt the kernel without all the power management stuff. Seems that by default fsck thought we were using the battery and deferred the check. Possibly I could have used fsck -f but I didn't want to take any chances. Anyway, the current state is that /dev/sda4 fails to mount. With the newer driver and modified kernel I had no problems with your bash instructions other than the procfs issue. Can I go further booting the machine by hand? If booting using the init=/sbin/bash allows me to check the disk but booting automatically does then it seems I should be able to walk through by hand doing all the steps until I get to the same failure point, correct? I think I'll Google around for web pages that describe that sort of thing. Sounds like an interesting thing to get educated on after using Linux for more than a decade... :-) Here's my current yaboot.conf and fstab files. Note that for now the use of /dev/hda2 is due to using the install CD. I suppose those will have to change to 'sd' if I ever get this machine to boot Gentoo again. (Still hoping Klaus' comment this morning about bad drives isn't the root cause here. The MacMini doesn't look easy to open for disk replacements...) Again, thanks for the ideas. Cheers, Mark (chroot) livecd / # cat /etc/yaboot.conf ## yaboot.conf generated by yabootconfig 1.0.8 ## ## run: "man yaboot.conf" for details. Do not make changes until you have!! ## ## For a dual-boot menu, add one or more of: ## bsd=/dev/hdaX, macos=/dev/hdaY, macosx=/dev/hdaZ boot=/dev/hda2 #device=/pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0: device=hd: timeout=30 install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot image=/boot/kernel-2.6.34-gentoo-r1 label=Gentoo-2.6.34-r1 #append="init=/bin/bash" partition=4 root=/dev/sda4 read-only (chroot) livecd / # (chroot) livecd / # cat /etc/fstab /dev/sda4 / ext3 noatime 0 1 /dev/sda3 none swap sw 0 0 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,user 0 0 proc /proc proc defaults 0 0 shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0 (chroot) livecd / #