From: Charles Trois <charles.trois@×××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Booting Gentoo 2006.1 on an iMac
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 09:57:59
Joseph Jezak a écrit :
> > Charles Trois wrote: >> What happens is that, on the final reboot, I see 10 or 15 lines of text >> (is that the Open Firmware part?) that disappear immediately. Then there >> is nothing, and I have to cut the power to go on. > > This sounds an awful lot like you're missing the Framebuffer device > driver. Which iMac do you have exactly? Perhaps try the > Framebuffer/X setup suggested in the PPC FAQ as described here: > > > - -Joe
Many thanks to all who have replied! The problem was indeed one of framebuffer. My machine is a G4 iMac with LCD. The video card is a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX. I had to add support for nvidia fb device in the kernel (the handbook states that only the OF device should be used in the case of nvidia, but I obviously misunderstood this). This solved my first problem. I got into a further one about udev, which I was able to fix (support for tmpfs was missing). And now it is a clock problem. The error message (copied by hand) reads: Cannot access the hardware clock... try the --debug option. hwclock --debug gives this: hwclock: Open of /dev/rtc failed, errno=2: no such file or directory No usable clock interface found This is strange, as /dev/rtc exists. On the kernel side there is "yes" to "RTCclass", "sysfs", "proc" and "dev". The RTC to read is "rtc0". Any suggestions? By the way, enablecdboot did not work because I had written "enable cdboot". My mistake. Charles -- gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Booting Gentoo 2006.1 on an iMac Joseph Jezak <josejx@g.o>