From: darren kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] Soundcard disable nic?
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 23:16:57
1 Well, I had hoped to start using the G5 as my main desktop. Towards those ends
2 I purchased an M-audio Revolution 5.1 soundcard, as it is listed as supported
3 under both OS X and Linux, and the onboard sound cannot handle my 5.1 speaker
4 system. I physically installed the card, fired up OS X, installed the
5 drivers, rebooted and tested. It works fine (as does networking).
6
7 I then boot up Gentoo to test it there. My initscripts start throwing errors
8 along the lines of "device eth0 does not exist". Networking fails. Indeed,
9 when I try "ifconfig eth0 up" it gives the same error: "eth0 does not exist,
10 confirm hardware and/or drivers".
11
12 Well, here's my dmesg:
13
14 # dmesg | grep eth0
15 eth0: Sun GEM (PCI) 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet 00:0a:95:8f:4c:50
16 eth0: Found BCM5421-K2 PHY
17 eth0: Link is up at 1000 Mbps, full duplex
18
19 # grep /usr/src/linux/.config SUNGEM
20 CONFIG_SUNGEM=y
21
22 # lspci | grep Ethernet
23 <nothing>
24
25 So where did the nic go? Could this be a conflict with the new soundcard? The
26 nic is just the regular onboard that comes with the G5. Here is the lspci
27 output for the soundcard:
28
29 0001:06:03.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. VT1720/24
30 [Envy24 PT/HT] PCI Multichannel Audio Controller.
31
32 Of course, the bloody soundcard doesn't seem to work either, but that's an
33 issue for after I get networking back.
34
35 Any ideas here? I can post output of other commands if you think it will help
36 (though I have to copy by hand because of the no-networking deal).
37
38 Thanks for consideration,
39 -d
40 --
41 darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badcomputer.org
42 "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected..."
43 - Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972
44 --
45 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list