From: Michael Hanselmann <hansmi@g.o>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Audio installation
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 19:32:54
1 Hello Matthew
2
3 On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 12:02:19PM +0000, Matthew Polashek wrote:
4 > I've got the Powerbook 17" G4 1.5 Ghz model. I think apple only one
5 > with that monitor size and processor speed.
6
7 Maybe, maybe not. It's not what I asked for. Read the output of "grep
8 machine /proc/cpuinfo". There you'll find something like "PowerBook7,2"
9 (the numbers are the important ones).
10
11 I'm asking because on some models the sound is not yet supported. But
12 there's a driver in development (snd-aoa, [1]).
13
14 > Is there a way to run audio apps safely on a PPC processor using
15 > Linux?
16
17 I'm sure there is. You have always the source code at hand and can
18 modify it to make it better.
19
20 > Anyway, what would you suggest I do to get stable audio on a PPC?
21
22 Unfortunately, I don't have much expierience with professional audio on
23 any platform. Sound output works on my G5 and one of my PowerBooks while
24 another one doesn't have its sound chip supported yet (but will with
25 snd-aoa). Digital output is said not to work for now, but it's planned
26 to be included in snd-aoa once they figure it out.
27
28 Oh, and please learn how to quote. First and last warning from me.
29
30 Greets,
31 Michael
32
33 [1] http://johannes.sipsolutions.net/snd-aoa.git/
36 Gentoo Linux developer, http://hansmi.ch/, http://forkbomb.ch/
37 Unix weanies are as bad at this as anyone.
38 -- Larry Wall in <199702111730.JAA28598@××××.org>