From: matt hull <mattmatteh@×××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Mac Mini PPC - Is this the right list?
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 22:59:33
1 apple kernel ? that would be darwin. i think you mean linux kernel ?
2
3 i dont append any kernel options. you want open firmware framebuffer
4 and radeonfb or nvidiafb compiled in the kernel. not sure if
5 enabling the edid or ddc options will help. i dont have a mac mini,
6 just 2 ibook g4's, not sure how different they are.
7
8 matt
9
10 there is also #gentoo-powerpc on freenode too :)
11
12 > My question at this time is how to append kernel boot options in
13 > /etc/yaboot.conf. When I boot the apple kernel from the Gentoo CD then
14 > when it switches to (I guess) the framebuffer where I see Tux the text
15 > on my monitor is jerky and not too readable. However if I use the
16 > suggested version
17 >
18 > apple video=ofonly
19 >
20 > then the text is fine. Scanning around on the web I found this example
21 > of how to do the same thing in yaboot.conf:
22 >
23 > image=/boot/kernel-2.4.26-gentoo-r3
24 > label=2.4.26-gentoo-r3
25 > root=/dev/hda4
26 > append="video=ofonly"
27 > read-only
28 >
29 > I have added this to my /etc/yaboot.conf file but the video is still
30 > jumping around and isn't too readable.
31 >
32 > None the less the machine is completely up and running and doing an
33 > emerge -DuN system so this machine, which has sat on the shelf
34 > untouched for over a year, is not usable hardware thanks to Gentoo.
35 >
36 > Cheers,
37 > Mark
38 > --