From: Joseph Jezak <josejx@g.o>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Gentoo ppc - still supported?
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 20:05:09
1 On 08/27/10 12:19, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 10:27 PM, Terin Stock <terinstock@×××××××××.net> wrote:
3 >> If it's just going to be sitting in a closet collecting Apple-dust, then I'd
4 >> say yes, it's certainly worth the extra effort.
5 >> :P
6 >> --
7 >> #Terin Stock
8 >>
9 > Worse - it would likely just go in the trash. You can buy these things
10 > on Ebay sometimes as low as $50 so I was just thinking it didn't make
11 > a lot of sense to spend time and money on it, but that's not a good
12 > attitude so maybe I should give it a try.
13 >
14 > I'll ask some questions in this thread. If I need to create another
15 > then I'll do that.
16 >
17 > BACKGROUND: I'm primarily an x86 Gentoo user since 1999. I'm a
18 > hardware guy and not an IT guy and don't have _any_ sys admin
19 > background other than managing my own Gentoo boxes. I'm familiar with
20 > the distro from the sense of keeping my machines running after using
21 > Gentoo for a decade. I know NOTHING about Apple machines. I do audio
22 > recording and bought the Mac to play with Apple OS X apps but grew
23 > tired of OS X pretty quickly and started using this machine as a
24 > MythTV backend server a few years ago.
25 >
26 > STATUS: The machine starts booting, the kernel comes up and runs
27 > through and it starts initializing all the services and what not.
28 > (Where it says either [OK] or [!!]. ) It gets to 'Checking root
29 > filesystem ... ' and then fails with a 'superblock could not be read'
30 > message. I tried the suggest e2fsck -b 8193 command but that didn't
31 > work. It's never worked for me.
32 >
33 > Since I was going to do a complete machine rebuild anyway - I haven't
34 > touched it in quite awhile as I didn't want to update Myth - I thought
35 > I'd try using a new CD. (the reason I started this thread.) When
36 > booting from either 2008 or 2009 CD I get the boot screen. If I hit
37 > enter I get a message about ramdisk loading and then
38 >
39 > Invalid memory address at SRR0:0197a930 SRR1:00083030
40 >
41 > but is also says
42 >
43 > Apple PowerMac 1-,2.4.9.4f0 BootROM built on 7/6/05
44 >
45 > Welcome to Open Firmware
46 >
47 > To continue booting type mac-boot
48 > ok
49 > If I try mac-boot it just hangs at:
54 > Now this page
55 >
56 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-ppc.xml
57 >
58 > doesn't even mention the Mac Mini so I'm guessing it's part of the New
59 > World class of machines. The instructions suggest:
60 >
61 > boot: apple video=ofonly
62 >
63 > but I get a message
64 >
65 > cd:2,apple: Unknown or corrupt filesystem
66 >
67 > So, am I doing something wrong trying to boot from the CD or is the
68 > machine somehow not working correctly?
69 >
70 > Thanks,
71 > Mark
74 I think the kernel might have gotten renamed, but missed in the
75 documentation. Please try using ppc32 instead of apple. I suspect it's
76 trying to boot a 64 bit kernel instead of the 32 bit one.
77
78 -Joe