From: Garry Smith <garry@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] yaboot-static is ignoring my yaboot.conf
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 12:18:37
1 Hi,
2
3 Platform: IBM JS20 Blade Centre
4
5 Gentoo Linux PPC64 installed http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-ppc64.xml
6 64 bit userland.
9 I want to bootp JS20 blades using a yaboot.chrp sitting on a tftp
10 server. Bootp and tftp file serving are working, i.e the client
11 successfully retrieves the yaboot.chrp and yaboot.conf BUT the client
12 then ignores my yaboot.conf settings and tries to download vmlinux and
13 root.bin, instead of vmlinux8 and fs.gz as described in my yaboot.conf.
14
15 I am using yaboot-static as described in the Gentoo manual. The copy
16 of yaboot.chrp on the tftp server came from: /usr/lib/yaboot/
17 yaboot.chrp as described in the Gentoo manual.
18
19 My yaboot.conf on the atftp server looks like this:
20
21 timeout=6000
22 init-message="\nWelcome to a network booted Gentoo installer service
23 node\n\n"
24 default=test
25
26 image=enet:vmlinux8
27 root=/dev/ram
28 initrd=enet:fs.gz
29 append="ramdisk_size=16384 console=ttyS0 console=tty0"
30 label=test
31 read-only
34 The yaboot.conf sits on the atftp server along with the client's
35 kernel, and read only root filesystem, i.e.:
36
37 /tftpboot/etc/01-00-11-25-ca-21-10 -> yaboot.conf
38 /tftpboot/fs.gz
39 /tftpboot/ibmpower -> yaboot.chrp
40 /tftpboot/vmlinux8
43 When I bootp a blade, I can see that the yaboot.chrp is downloaded
44 successfully (the dhcp next-server entry to ibmpower works). Also the
45 yaboot config from /etc/01-00-11-25-ca-21-10 is pulled down to the
46 client. But looking in the tftp server logs I see that the yaboot.chrp
47 then tries to download vmlinux and root.bin. My yaboot.conf (above)
48 references vmlinux8 and fs.gz.
49
50 As a test I symlinked vmlinux -> vmlinux8 and root.bin -> fs.gz. The
51 tftp server log shows that the files are downloaded to the client
52 (although an issue prevents the client from booting)
55 My question is this: Why is yaboot.chrp ignoring my yaboot.conf
56 settings and how can I get this configured correctly from a 64 bit
57 userland? I am thinking to install another blade with Gentoo PPC64
58 32bit userland, to see if I can play around with yaboot configuration
59 but this feels a bit excessive.
60
61 Any ideas?
62
63 In case you are wondering, the kernel that I bootp is intended to be a
64 sevice module that installs Gentoo on the blades automatically.
65
66 Thank you in advance.
67
68 regards