From: Miguel Sousa Filipe <m3thos@×××××××.pt>
To: james toy <jamestoy@×××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-ppc-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Just a question
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:27:22
1 james toy wrote:
2 > Just as kevin said I really see no huge difference and it also has the
3 > god awful microsoft programs that actually are acceptable in the work world.
4 > Does anyone know any real advantages that would pursuade me to start
5 > using gentoo again?
6 > -jt
7
8 Well, I think its a matter of taste:
9
10 the good things about linux:
11 Linux is faster, from the core, to the window managers, with the exception of
12 video acceleration(driver support dependant).
13
14 The linux kernel is simply better, more performant, more stable, has much more
15 development than the mach darwin kernel(kernel of os x).
16 The filesystems ext3, reiserfs, xfs and ext2 are all faster than hfsplus, and 3
17 of them are journaled :).
18 Mac OS X does not have a journaling file system, so data isn't so safe has it is
19 in linux under a journaled fs
20
21 Mac OS X obliges you to use their windowmanager, wich is heavy and kind of slow
22 (too slow for me)
23 The windowing system is less advanced, but faster, and lighter.
24 Also, linux is more configurable, I can put KDE or gnome, but I can also put
25 something lighter has fluxbox, in OSX we have their windowmanager and you can't
26 avoid that.
27
28 In Linux my memory fingerprint(normal RAM in use) is about 86 MiB, with
29 X, fluxbox, mozilla mail, mozilla web, xchat, eterms, gkrellm and xmms.
30 The CPU usage is very very small...
31 In OSX by contrast: ram use is allway above 128MiB, if I use safari + iTunes +
32 mozilla-mail + iTerm, its using nearly all the RAM (256MiB).
33 Just for playing music my G3 800mhz is at 33% usage, at mimimum... leading to
34 bigger power usage.. less battery..(supposedly).
35
36 Java apps are slower in osx than they are in Linux.
37
38 Conclusion, for me, linux shurelly kicks os X, its mutch lighter, i work better
39 in my linux with X and fluxbox than I can ever dream off in osx.
40
41 The bad things of linux:
42 Linux is harder to use, is less userfriendly, has less eye candy, and also worse
43 power management(my experience with iBook, because of not so improved video
44 drivers), I can also guess that driver support is better in osx, since they
45 choose the hardware and make the software to run on it..
46 Its much easier to configure digital cameras, and all kinds of devices in osx
47 than in linux, and for me, this is something linux really has to improve. (I/O,
48 periferics support in linux is ugly.. and not straight forward).
49
50 Anyway, OS X 10.3 looks something quite nice, feature wise.
51 Also remember that OS X is a complete environment, from the kernel to the
52 windowing system and applications, Linux is just a kernel.
53
54 From the geek side, linux is and still will be faster/better than OSX for some
55 time to come (my bet is that is will be _very_ _very_ difficult to catch up with
56 linux performance, since it has a bigger developer base and is now backup by IT
57 giants suchs has sgi, ibm, etc..) Just wait until 2.6 comes out.. eheheh.
58
59 From the simple user side, osx is unix, has some very neat things, is directed
60 at regular people, and is not so bat after all :)
63 Well, my choice is Linux :)
64
65 Miguel Sousa Filipe
69 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list