From: Lincoln Rutledge <lrutledge@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] g3 iBook can't boot directly from cd
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 21:08:02
Howdy folks,
I'm having problems bootstrapping my install on a clamshell g3 ibook.
The cdrom drive is very old now and will no read CD-R media, although
commercial media like OSX cds and OpenBSD cd set work fine.  I have an
external firewire CDRW drive, but it is not possible to boot to it from

So in the past, if an operating system installer would let me, I could
put the yaboot, yaboot.conf, kernel, and ramdisk image all on the first
HFS partition on the hard drive, and then boot things from OpenFirmware

I am trying to do this with Gentoo, but I am having a problem.  The
kernel and ramdisk load, but even if use the "dofirewire" kernel
argument, the firewire drive never spins up, and I end up at the "enter
root device or "shell"" prompt.

I haven't found any kernel modules in the ramdisk filesystem there, I
poked around in the busybox.

I have the squashfs image on the HFS partition, and on a usb stick.  I
can't seem to mount the usb stick, the HFS partition, or get to the
firewire cdrom.

I discovered the "bootfrom=" kernel argument, but I have no idea what to
feed it.  Can I get to anything using that that I can't get to from the

Any ideers?

-- - Email service worth paying for. Try it for free