From: Lincoln Rutledge <lrutledge@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] g3 iBook can't boot directly from cd
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 21:08:02
1 Howdy folks,
2 I'm having problems bootstrapping my install on a clamshell g3 ibook.
3 The cdrom drive is very old now and will no read CD-R media, although
4 commercial media like OSX cds and OpenBSD cd set work fine. I have an
5 external firewire CDRW drive, but it is not possible to boot to it from
6 OpenFirmware.
7
8 So in the past, if an operating system installer would let me, I could
9 put the yaboot, yaboot.conf, kernel, and ramdisk image all on the first
10 HFS partition on the hard drive, and then boot things from OpenFirmware
11 prompt.
12
13 I am trying to do this with Gentoo, but I am having a problem. The
14 kernel and ramdisk load, but even if use the "dofirewire" kernel
15 argument, the firewire drive never spins up, and I end up at the "enter
16 root device or "shell"" prompt.
17
18 I haven't found any kernel modules in the ramdisk filesystem there, I
19 poked around in the busybox.
20
21 I have the squashfs image on the HFS partition, and on a usb stick. I
22 can't seem to mount the usb stick, the HFS partition, or get to the
23 firewire cdrom.
24
25 I discovered the "bootfrom=" kernel argument, but I have no idea what to
26 feed it. Can I get to anything using that that I can't get to from the
27 busybox?
28
29 Any ideers?
33 thanks