From: Carl Hudkins <carl@×××××××.org>
To: Gentoo PPC Users <gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] Mouse & keyboard questions (Power Mac oldworld)
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 19:32:27
1 Hi, all!
2
3 It's been a while since I bothered this list last, but of course that's
4 been because I've been having more success than usual! :) (Well,
5 unless you count the apparent death of my main PC...)
6
7 Anyway, thanks to Xautoconfig, which was smart enough to realize it
8 needed to use /dev/fb0 instead of complaining, I've now got a working
9 Xfree86 with Window Maker and Mozilla (even stripped of composer, IRC
10 and such, 30+ hours compiling, wheeee) so I can survive for a while.
11 There are two main things bugging me right now, though, and they are the
12 mouse and the keyboard.
13
14 First, the mouse: A Kensington Orbit, via a PS/2-to-ADB converter that
15 came in the box with it, plugged into the original Mac keyboard on this
16 Power Mac 8600/200. This is a two-button mouse, so I made sure to set
17 "CONFIG_MAC_EMUMOUSEBTN=y" when building my kernel. However, both gpm
18 and X see the right button as button 2. (I checked this using xev.)
19 Shouldn't it be button 3, with 2 emulated by pressing them both at once?
20 I have tried adding -2 and -B (123|132) to the gpm command, with no
21 change in its behavior. Does anyone know how to fix this?
22
23 Next, the keyboard: As far as I know, this is the original keyboard --
24 105 keys if you count the Power key in the upper right corner. I use a
25 "dvorak" mapping, which is set in /etc/rc.conf, and this works fine in
26 text consoles. However, in X the arrow key that should be "Right" is
27 seen as "Home" (also according to xev). I know I could probably use xkb
28 or xmodmap to change this, but I'm hoping there's a simple and cleaner
29 solution -- after all, this keyboard has been around long enough that
30 lots of people must have dealt with it. :)
31
32 Here's the keyboard section from XF86Config-4:
33
34 Section "InputDevice"
35 Identifier "Keyboard0"
36 Driver "keyboard"
37 Option "CustomKeycodes"
38 Option "XkbModel" "macintosh"
39 Option "XkbRules" "xfree"
40 Option "XkbLayout" "us"
41 EndSection
42
43 Does anyone know of settings that would work better? My only attempt
44 so far at changing the keyboard left me with a garbled mess!
45
46 Thanks,
49 // Carl Hudkins :: Jabber yther <at> amessage.info :: PGP 50238D9E
50 //
51 // "German beer is chemical-free / Germany's all right with me!"
52 // --"Why Aye Man", Mark Knopfler
57 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list