From: Calum Selkirk <cselkirk@×××××.com>
To: gentooppc-user@g.o
Subject: [gentooppc-user] Fwd: New sys-kernel tree layout
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 07:35:59
1 it seems gentooppc-user and gentooppc-dev are not included in the To
2 field when Daniel et al post announcements .. for the moment i'll fwd
3 to the list (i have emailed asking that ppc be added)
4
5 best
6
7 cal
8
9 ----- Forwarded message from Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o> -----
10
11 > Date: 23 Apr 2002 09:05:32 -0600
12 > From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
13 > Reply-To: gentoo-user@g.o
14 > To: gentoo-announce@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o,
15 > gentoo-user@g.o, gentoo-core@g.o
16 > Subject: [gentoo-user] New sys-kernel tree layout
17 > X-Mailer: Ximian Evolution 1.0.3
18
19 > Hi all,
20 >
21 > We now have a new arrangement in Portage's sys-kernel tree.
22 > sys-kernel/linux-sources no longer exists, and has been replaced with
23 > the following consistently-named selection of kernel source packages:
24 >
25 > gentoo-sources:
26 >
27 > The gentoo-sources ebuild is our replacement for our previous
28 > linux-sources ebuild. It contains a "custom" Gentoo Linux kernel source
29 > tree, optimized for server performance and desktop responsiveness. We
30 > try to ensure that this kernel is very fast and stable and we recommend
31 > this kernel for most people. However, XFS support is no longer included
32 > in this kernel. If you use XFS, use sys-kernel/xfs-sources.
33 >
34 > vanilla-sources:
35 >
36 > The vanilla-sources ebuild installs a "mainline" kernel source tree,
37 > giving you the exact same thing as if you downloaded a stock kernel from
38 > kernel.org. It will be handy for those who use stock kernel source tree
39 > -- now you can merge this kernel, and have a kernel source tree
40 > installed to /usr/src automatically.
41 >
42 > usermode-sources:
43 >
44 > This usermode-sources ebuild installs mainline sources that have been
45 > patched to support user-mode Linux (a special technology that allows you
46 > to run "Linux inside Linux.")
47 >
48 > xfs-sources:
49 >
50 > The xfs-sources ebuild installs sources that support XFS; specifically,
51 > this ebuild contains a CVS snapshot of SGI's own XFS source tree. In
52 > the future, we may add other minor (and stable) performance-enhancing
53 > patches as well. We've found that using a SGI XFS CVS shapshot is the
54 > best way to go if you're going to use the XFS filesystem. If any of
55 > your Gentoo Linux filesystems are XFS, then, you'll need to use this
56 > kernel.
57 >
58 > openmosix-sources:
59 >
60 > The openmosix-sources ebuild installs a kernel source tree that has been
61 > specially patched with support for the GPL openMosix clustering and
62 > load- balancing technology. For more info, see
63 > http://www.openmosix.com.
64 >
65 > I hope you find the new layout more intuitive. All ebuilds work
66 > similarly and will install a kernel source tree to a directory inside
67 > /usr/src and will set the /usr/src/linux symlink to point to this
68 > directory. We also plan to add a greater selection of kernels in the
69 > future -- even customized kernels from other distributions like Mandrake
70 > and Red Hat.
71 >
72 > Best Regards,